Vista Ulimate x64 is....

Mac[X-D]

[H]ard|Gawd
I hate to use such a srtong word but i think it is near perfect. i am so pleased with vista i went with it for my gaming rig and i just love it. the games i have installed so far all run great, and my hardware is working perfectly.

i love the interface, how looks and feels, all the new features, its so speedy imop,

i know its been debated to death, but if u are on the fence i highly recomend that u just go vista x64 and don't look back.

the only question i have right now is why do only some of my games show up in the games folder? AOE3, PainKiller, DOOM3, WIC Beta all showed up in there but Steam stuff like HL2, CSS don't? is there any set reason vista doesn't? i thought it was because i install my games on a different drive other then C:\ but that doesn't seem to matter.

Any ways its no big deal i just copy the shortcuts in there.

Just thought i would share my vista happyness

Shot at 2007-07-29

Wow! Great to hear.. I have the copy of Vista Ult x64 right here and waiting for my new Gaming rig (in sig) to arrive. Only worries I have is hardware stability in regards to drivers for my temp 7800GT, drivers for my x-fi platinum and hoping my G15 keyboard still works in Vista x64.

Is 2GB sufficient atm for Vista? I have a 2x1GB set, so i'd have to get another 2x1GB set to make it 4GB, which i hear sometimes gives problems..

I'm with you on this. Vista Ultimate x64 is just great. The only flaw I've found is a lack of support for my webcam, and thats just laziness on Creatives part.

What I dont straight up like software wise is the lack of native x64 applications, I thought by now there'd be plenty of software to choose from.

Anyways, nice to see another happy user out there.

Wow! Great to hear.. I have the copy of Vista Ult x64 right here and waiting for my new Gaming rig (in sig) to arrive. Only worries I have is hardware stability in regards to drivers for my temp 7800GT, drivers for my x-fi platinum and hoping my G15 keyboard still works in Vista x64.

Is 2GB sufficient atm for Vista? I have a 2x1GB set, so i'd have to get another 2x1GB set to make it 4GB, which i hear sometimes gives problems..

well i only have 2gb of ram installed and so far i haven't noticed any reason for more, even if when vista shows 50% ram in use i launch a game it runs great so unless u really want 2gb+ ram i think u should be fine.

i can't speak for nv drivers since i havn't had a nv card since my gts2 v7700 all i know is ati's 7.7 cats for x64 work great, ati tray tools is working great. i dles at 45 right now but it is 30+ c outside and i have no ac with my fan running at 30%

the web release for my audigy 2 seem work well

i have to agree i would have thought x64 software would have been more of the norm by now as well, what i do like is if u look at whats running in task maneger it shows whats running in x32 so at least u know.

one other question, does anyone know why there to two sidebar.exe running in the processes list?

I have problems with my computer running Vista x64, but they're not related to the fact that I have Vista, they're more related to bad drivers (yes there are still driver issues out there).

To summarize, nVidia borked their drivers and now two videocards (SLI or not) plus an X-Fi doesn't play nice, at least not for me.

Vista itself has been great. I've nary seen a BSoD, crash or anything that directly relate to the OS itself. All my problems have been because of drivers. Just like anything new (*cough iPhone cough*) there are bound to be problems here and there. All my gamer friends have switched to Vista as well. We have never been happier.

Oh, and the new screensavers are fun to watch :)

Cool! Now go get yourself a kickass big widescreen monitor with giganticus screen resolution, so you can show off more of your new toy when you boast about it! :)

Some of your games won't show up in the Games explorer because the developers of those games haven't followed proper procedure when coding those games. The games in question don't install fully in accordance with recommended procedures, so they're not recognised and displayed automatically in the Games Explorer under Vista. It's not a Vista problem - it's simply poor practice on the part of the developer. As mentioned, copying the game shortcut to the folder is a good enough workaround.

There are two instances of sidebar.exe becuase one of them is handling "User Gadgets". It's a stability protection thing, designed to protect the system against the possibility of user-created Sidebar Gadgets causing system problems if they are badly coded. The core functionality of Sidebar and the Microsoft gadgets run in one process, whilst third-party gadgets run in another.

OP: what all games are you running? (any more than what is listed, I mean)

Just wondering as I will be going Vista x64 as soon as the new computer gets here.

thnx for the information Catweazle

so far i have installed and played

Transformers demo
CnC 3 Demo
CoH
AOE3
DOOM3
PainKiller
HL2
CSS
Wolf ET

They're old school classics, but the BG series works on Vista 64, except for some audio problem if you try to enable 3d audio stuff.

Haven't tried the other IE games, but they're probably good too.

A very secure OS
A more stable OS
A very nice looking GUI
Better memory management
Improved Windows Media Center
Improved Windows Movie Maker
And lots of other nice little things that all add up. Sure, it's not as lightweight as XP, but it's not unstable or buggy in my experience.

and when flip3d wears off...

what have you ?

When the fascination with the shiny new interface wears off you're left with the REAL reasons for upgrading to a newer OS version. DeathFromBelow has summarised most of those. Improved security, improved stability, improved productivity.

Suggesting that "I can do all those things in XP" misses the point. To replicate Vista's functionality in XP you need to install a trailer-trash amalgam of software which may or may not have conlicts and issues with each other, then you gotta attend to the necessary housekeeping to keep things in good working order.

Suggesting that "Vista is just a pretty GUI" is a narrow-sighted outlook on the rality of what the new OS actually is (or the utterance of a n00b who just doesn't understand).

using vista ult 64bit now, very stable OS can play all the games I have installed in it at smooth framerats, sometimes I think it runs smoother than xp pro!!!

and when flip3d wears off...

what have you ?

actually i just used the flip 3d for the screenshot, i still good alt+tab

and like it has been said i like everything vista brings to the table besides and flashy gui i haven't had one crash, error, system halt, nothing i loved xp but i couldn't close ie with out some stupid error popping up. and i will agree when u first start using vista u think wow its just a shiney new os, but once u spend some time with it u really start to apprechiate everything new it offers.

just my 2 cents worth.

I have been very pleased with Vista x64, since moving to it two months ago. I tested the alpha build of x64 over a year ago and honestly it was surprisingly comfortable to use fundamentally, and it has become a lot more polished in the time since. Its lesser-known benefits over Vista x86 make a nice feature for early adopters who can actually hold security as a secondary priority when using their system, enabling greater productivity and the inevitable discoveries of finesse tweaks...and, let's be honest, more time to play around with its nuances.

I'll toss up an example that happened earlier tonight. I had downloaded an archive containing the files of an application that resulted in WinRAR SID errors upon extraction. I was notified by hardware DEP in the system tray that code was halted (mind you, I have security center notifications off and the center itself disabled), and furthermore the files came out clean. In this case it was a false negative, since I had used this program before earlier this year on Vista x86 and had the same errors initially (which did not get halted). While the files and archive were safe anyway, a mistake in their creation opened up an error that resembled something creating a buffer overflow - x64's hardware DEP more than did its job.

x64's shortcomings lie in drivers (availability and integrity checks), media (codecs, Flash/Shockwave, etc.), a lack of significant native x64 applications (such as firewalls, media creation, etc.), and some compatibility bugs with games and some software. The integrity checks can be bypassed and I've have good luck with drivers (XP64 drivers often work well), codecs are fine in 32-bit and there are workarounds for Flash, more and more applications are moving 64-bit (ZoneAlarm and Comodo are both testing 64-bit versions of their firewalls), and a significant portion of the remaining bugs are being ironed out by improving vendor drivers/fixes (Creative notwithstanding) and easy access to virtual machines (not to mention a robust boot loader for more substantial solutions).

What's the point of using the 64-bit version if you have less than 4gb ram? I thought that was the only real reason to use it...what I mean is, it seems the cons outweigh the pros for the "average" user...

Unfortunately, M-Audio still has shit for drivers. The only drivers they have for their line of soundcards on Vista is for my soundcard (the Revo 5.1), so count myself lucky. They are 32-bit drivers only, and in beta. :p

Back