Vista throttling my overclock?

So, I just made the switch to Vista from XP. Here is my setup:

C2D E4300 @ 3ghz
ASUS P5k motherboard
2x1gb gskill DDR2 ram
GeForce 8800 GTS
and so on.

I'd happily been running @ 335mhz on the FSB for quite a while on XP; something in the neighborhood of 8 months or so.

When I switched to Vista and downloaded CPU-Z, though, I've noticed something strange: it appears to alternate the reading back and forth between 3 ghz and 2 ghz sporadically; it appears to be reading the multiplier as changing between "9," the default, and "6."

I'm not sure what's going on here. The ASUS overclocking utility (which I never use) confirms the cpu-z reading. I downloaded the latest bios, etc., for motherboard and it still reports the same thing.

I never noticed this on XP. . . .

Any thoughts? Thanks.

EDIT: I'm wondering if for some reason one core is only running at the 6 multiplier? Not sure how to fix that, if so -- no bios settings to that effect. I've already tried the power options to see if that is the source of the throttling.

Did you disable C1E and EIST under CPU options in your BIOS? If you don't your CPU will clock down when it's not being used to save power. It will still ramp up to full speed when needed, but most people disable it while overclocking to help stability.

Multiplier-changing from 9x to 6x is definitely due to EIST. I see no reason to disable it unless it's causing you stability problems; it does not cause performance deficits, since it will immediately ramp up to 9x once the CPU is under load. Unless you have some extreme borderline-stable overclock, I think it's best to leave it on, since it's giving you free power and heat reduction. Maybe not a huge amount, but since there's no performance cost..

I find it strange that you overclock to get more speed and then install Vista anyway..

What's the point?

Back