Vista - Third-party defragger?

Vista Ultimate 64-bit

I know Vista automatically defrags every week. But is it worthwhile to try PerfectDisk or Diskeeper or O&O or something, for advanced (whatever :p) features?

If I'm talking out of my ass, feel free to tell me, just curious if this is something worth looking into.

Thanks!

Personally I've always been a fan of O&O's products, as they've never borked my machines or lost my data.

A lot of things Vista has built in aren't the best of their kind, take Paint for example, sure it works, but it's not the best paint program out there.

Like anything though, you'll get a million different opinions, and you'll need to make the decision yourself based on what you read. My suggestion is to check out the information pages of the products you're looking at, such as O&O Defrag V10......

http://www.oo-software.com/home/en/products/oodefrag/

Read and compare features, price, etc.

Best of luck!

Is it worthwhile?
No. Not from the perspective of 'value' or 'need'. What's included in the OS is perfectly adequate for the purposes, and will do as good a job as needs to be done.

Does it do harm to have a 'professional' tool?
Again, no. Value and need aren't the real reasons people have such things. People add them for reasons of image, self-satisfaction, a sense of 'peace of mind' and so on. But there are several available tools which, whilst the practical benefit they bring is minimal at best, do no harm whatsoever to the system.

i have used diskeeper and have had no problems like it says "set it and forget about it."

You can pretty much set the vista defragger and forget it as well. If you want a status report, use the command line, but in all honesty, how the hell do you guage if a "pro" product is that more effective than the os version? Is it because of a the little gui that shows you fragmented files?

You are kidding yourself if you think you need a pro defragger.

Yeah, 3rd party defraggers have never produced a tangible benefit for me.

If you want increased disk performance, buy a faster hard drive or buy a 2nd one and RAID them.

Back