Vista Taskbar decides not to show

kmeson

Limp Gawd
I have this interesting problem with Vista. Every now and again Vista decides my taskbar should remain hidden. Pressing the Windows key shows the Start menu but the taskbar remains hidden. Toggling 'Auto-hide' does not solve it. Toggling 'Keep the taskbar on top of other windows' does not solve it. A reboot will.

This event is fairly rare but I believe consistent. On occasion my 7900gtx looses sync with one of my displays (2405WPF). It is at this point in time I notice taskbar become foobar.

I can trigger a sync problem by right-clicking on the desktop first time after reboot only. I can consistently trigger sync problems by going into Display Settings->Advanced Settings...->Geforce 7900 GTX (tab)->Start the NVIDIA Control Panel. Everytime I press "Start the NVIDIA Control Panel" I get a sync problem and only on the 2405. My 2001FP has no such problem.

The sync problem appears as shifting from right/left with video tearing accompanied by brief flicker. The MS drivers do not show this problem. It may or may not be due to "Refresh Rate Precision" mentioned in the release notes, ie 60hz refresh is set as 59.94hz.

I'm interested in knowing if others are experiencing this problem and any solutions.

Configuration Summary:
Vista x64 (w/ perf & reliability updates, all current Windows Updates)
P35-DQ6
Q6600 @ 3ghz
4x1gig PC8500
7900GTX w/ 162.22 WHQL drivers

Back