Vista suddenly loses connection (MSN still online)

Beta7

n00b
My desktop computer suddenly loses internet connectivity, but MSN is still online, though. All my browsers do not work, and neither Gmail's notify utility. It usually happens between 5 and 30 minutes after Windows has finished loading. If I reboot, internet connectivity is immediately reestablished - at least until the connection is lost once again. It happens every time!

When it happens I'm am not able to connect to my router's interface (through cable), but if I turn on my laptop I am able to connect to the router's wireless connection easily.

I've tried disabling both Zonealarm and AVG, and I have scanned for virus and malware as well.

Is it possible to identify what process is causing this? I don't like the thought of having to re-install Windows...

Any help is appreciated! :)

I have. I assume you mean the driver my ethernet controller/netcard?

Yes, that's what I meant. What about Windows Firewall? Is that on? Do you have local connectivity?

It's probably Zone Alarm. The only way to fully disable it is to uninstall it. But who knows.. maybe its not it.

What about Comodo? Or should I just rely on the firewall in my router (I think it blocks trafic as well)?

I have just tried uninstalling my ethernet controller and removing all those entries TCP/IP protocols etc. from the controller's properties, and then rebooting. Maybe it will help. And I will uninstall Zonealarm as well.

What about Comodo? Or should I just rely on the firewall in my router (I think it blocks trafic as well)?

I have just tried uninstalling my ethernet controller and removing all those entries TCP/IP protocols etc. from the controller's properties, and then rebooting. Maybe it will help. And I will uninstall Zonealarm as well.

If you're running Vista, your hardware firewall and Vista's built in firewall is more than sufficient for it's task. Having another software firewall would be overkill. All you really need to worry about is antivirus and antispyware and other malware protection, such as Avira or NOD32 and SuperAntiSpyware.

Back