Vista SP-1 and a Tip on Networking

BillR

Born Again Cynic
Vista SP-1 and a Tip on Networking

First, my feelings were hurt because now that SP-1 for Vista has been released MS had not made it available to me through the normal update channel.

Naturally I decided to take matters into my own hands because it’s obvious MS has no clue about what’s going on.

Once again, I was wrong. If you go to the download site at MS you can in fact do your own download and install it, however, if you take the time to actually read the information on the site they are very clear that there are and will be a few different versions of SP-1 depending on your particular setup. Also, if you already jumped the gun and done your own download if and when MS makes a better one for your system you will need to uninstall the old one before you allow Update to install the new one.

Oh, and NO, I didn’t make this up.

Second on the list is a TIP and it involves networking. Last week I upgraded my router. I went from my trusty old Linksys WR-54g to a D-Link 655 Extreme N. While this is not the place for a review suffice it to say, it ROCKS and makes my FIOS connection really worth while.

Back on topic, networks. If you tweak any of the network settings in your OS or the advanced panel in your NIC properties panel the odds are if you are running one or two SMP clients they will reach 100% and promptly stop. It will show it’s entering the MPIXE phase but it won’t go any further. The cure is simple, you need a reboot and perhaps tell the firewall “allow” again depending on what you changed. Even a program you install that might require it’s own network settings and not bother to tell you will bring about this same issue.

This was an event I could repeat over and over and reproduce the same problem.

The tricky part is still the reboot especially if you are running dual SMP within windows instead of VMs. As far as “ME” the only foolproof method of rebooting without WU loss it simply a quick push of the power button which causes virtually everything to shut down at the same time not allowing the SMP clients to fail. Keep in mind the power button can do three things, first, turn on your machine (I know, but I had to include that) and second if you hold in for 4 seconds it will instantly turn off your power. However, if you just tap it for say a half second it will tell windows to shut down properly.

I have yet to lose a WU, I have yet to lose data, I have yet to have Windows come up and ask me if I want to use my last known good settings. This applies to Vista-32 and 64 as well as XP-Pro. I haven’t tried it on Linux so your results may vary.

Luck and I hope this helps people getting stuck at the end of a WU.;)

Back