Vista Slows Down Games

lemmy

Limp Gawd
Sigh... Why does vista have to run so much useless crap in background, and take up process speed.

Is there anything else i can do to make games speed up ? (other than turning off aero and buying a new vid card)

System:
Intel E6400
3GB ram
160gb SATA
8800GTS OC: 650/1800

What REALLLY worries me, is what performance willbe like when DX10 games actually come out......

My idle CPU utilization is the same under Vista and XP. Less mature video drivers under Vista are the main cause of slower game performance. Have you tried the newer 15x drivers?

Games run fine for me with only 1GB.

yeah...nvidia drivers still blow. though this newest beta release seems to be pretty decent.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_aero_glass_performance/
XP w/eye-candy (fading windows/show folder contents while draging, etc) versus XP w/o eyecandy: 5% performance penalty
Vista w/ Aero enabled versus Aero disabled: 0% performance penalty

I TOTALLY never expected to surpass my score that I achieved with Windows XP

HIGHER 3dmark2006 score in Vista than XP with the same hardware!!

optional reading

Now, if you're done FUD mongering, I am more than happy to take the time to help you properly install, setup and configure Vista on your system.

p.s., I have 3GB memory, old school P4, 8800GTS and everything on Vista is substantially faster than XP. With your system properly configured, it should be even better.

Sigh... Why does vista have to run so much useless crap in background, and take up process speed.

Is there anything else i can do to make games speed up ? (other than turning off aero and buying a new vid card)

System:
Intel E6400
3GB ram
160gb SATA
8800GTS OC: 650/1800

What REALLLY worries me, is what performance willbe like when DX10 games actually come out......

I'd suggest taking the time to understand how Vista works. But, I have a feeling this could be like any of the thousand other Vista threads and any attempt would be useless.

It's better to rag on what we don't understand, than to just try and understand it..

And if you want enlightenment, do a search on these forums or the 'Inter-Web'..

Edit: Or Calebb could beat me to it.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/windows_vista_aero_glass_performance/
XP w/eye-candy (fading windows/show folder contents while draging, etc) versus XP w/o eyecandy: 5% performance penalty
Vista w/ Aero enabled versus Aero disabled: 0% performance penalty

HIGHER 3dmark2006 score in Vista than XP with the same hardware!!

optional reading

Now, if you're done FUD mongering, I am more than happy to take the time to help you properly install, setup and configure Vista on your system.

p.s., I have 3GB memory, old school P4, 8800GTS and everything on Vista is substantially faster than XP. With your system properly configured, it should be even better.

PLEASEEE Help me configure it.

I wish the results of the 158.19 were the same for Vista, too bad it's only for XP 32bit
I play games like Supreme Commander and towards the Middle of the game Everything starts Chopping up and crapping out. While my Cousin on his AMD X2 3800 7800GTX 2gb on windows XP is still running nice and smooth.
P.S. i'm not FUD mongering, i just want help because i'm pretty sure i'm not alone in this issue.

Which version of Vista? I'm not nearly as familiar with the 64 bit version of Vista - you need to take additional steps to properly install unsigned drivers if you're using the 64 bit version of Vista.

For most people, I recommend sticking with the 32 bit version of Vista unless you are exceed 4GB of memory (between your system memory and video memory).

Are your chipset drivers up-to-date? Did you properly remove the old drivers before updating?

I use Vista x64, and see only driver performance related issues. Or badly coded games.

Than again, I probably don't have the collection you do.

I've played Oblivion, FEAR, STALKER, CoH among others, most my titles i don't play anymore (including one of the above listed, nor do i have time).

Which version of Vista? I'm nearly as familiar with the 64 bit version of Vista - you need to take additional steps to properly install unsigned drivers if you're using the 64 bit version of Vista.

For most people, I recommend sticking with the 32 bit version of Vista unless you are exceed 4GB of memory (between your system memory and video memory).

Are your chipset drivers up-to-date? Did you properly remove the old drivers before updating?

Currently on 32-bit Vista Business
Yes properly remoted it, if you mean through system properties.

I haven't really tested it out on other games.

Only game i have problems with is supreme commander

Currently on 32-bit Vista Business
Yes properly remoted it, if you mean through system properties.

I haven't really tested it out on other games.

Only game i have problems with is supreme commander

Ok - I haven't played that game yet, but under what circumstances do you experience poor performance? All the time? title screen?

Any BSOD's? Crash-to-desktop (CTD)?

not all the time problem, initially everything runs smoothly

Basically it's when there are more units on the screen etc. more action(towards middle->end of game). Thats when it gets choppy, it's not Choppy in a low FPS sort of way, but more like every other 5-10 seconds there is a slight pause. I've seen it in Other RTS games, it's just i don't understand why my cousins computer can handle it, which is considered slower than mine.

supcom demo worked for me on x64. course i don't have a newer vid card so it was slow as fuck lol. but it did work. and this was before the new 158 drivers.

not all the time problem, initially everything runs smoothly

Basically it's when there are more units on the screen etc. more action(towards middle->end of game). Thats when it gets choppy. I've seen it in Other RTS games, it's just i don't understand why my cousins computer can handle it, which is considered slower than mine.

Ahh, very good info!

Are you positive the graphics settings are identical? Things like fire range lines and even the mini map (apparently) make a pretty large difference in that game!

http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t30475.html

Check out some of those comments - there are people running pimped out systems on XP that have problems with low framerate when fire range lines & the minimap are on.

Back