Vista Security Center -- will not turn on

mikebrown

[H]ard|Gawd
Hello all, I'm Mike Brown. I am the Faculty/Staff Computer Upgrade Tech at my college, and I need some help... Here's the deal:

I ghost a computer so it has Windows Vista Ultimate. I take a professors computer with Windows XP and migrate his information and data using LapLink's PC Mover software. After the successful migration, the Security Center in Vista is turned off. When I click "Turn on now" it comes up with a box that says "The Security Center Service can't be started."

Has anyone seen this and/or know how to fix it? I've googled a few pages with some ideas but nothing has worked or made sense. Any help would be appreciated.

Have you gone into administrative tools/services and see how security center is set to run? Should be set to automatic.Try starting it from there and see if it runs. If not google the exact error message.
Maybe try running malwarebytes cause I know it will detect registry settings regarding the security center and fix it.

Under services it is set to Automatic. When you click start you get:

Windows could not start the Security Center service on Local Computer.

Error 1068: The dependency service or group failed to start.

Google'd that Error message and get a bunch of XP things... nothing with a fix.

Also, I have ran malwarebytes but for kicks and giggles, I'll run it again.

The dependencies for Security Center are Remote Procedure Call (RPC) and Windows Management Instrumentation, are those started? Make sure they are both set to start automatically aswell or Security Center won't start.

Both are set to Automatic, and RPC is started. However the only WMI there is, is the WMI Performance Adapter. And when I try to start it, I get:
Windows could not start the WMI Performance Adapter service on Local Computer.

Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion.

WMI Performance adapter isn't necessary for security center, I have that stopped on mine as well. Winmgmt should be though I believe, whats the status on that?

Both are set to Automatic, and RPC is started. However the only WMI there is, is the WMI Performance Adapter. And when I try to start it, I get:
Wrong service. There should be Windows Management Instrumentation service. Should be started and set to automatic.

WMI Performance adapter isn't necessary for security center, I have that stopped on mine as well. Winmgmt should be though I believe, whats the status on that?

WMI Performance Adapter was the only WMI I saw. I haven't looked for Winmgmt but I will as soon as I get to work on Monday.

Originally Posted by mikebrown View Post
Wrong service. There should be Windows Management Instrumentation service. Should be started and set to automatic.

Like I said above. There is no Windows Management Instrumentation listed as a service. Will look at that on Monday.

That program migrates files, settings, registry etc. There's probably a corruption somewhere or a changed setting that conflicts with Vista because Vista is not XP in any way. Even if the program supports XP >> Vista, the whole 'transfers settings/registry' doesn't sit comfortably with me because I don't trust the program to set things right going from XP to Vista. XP to XP, sure. Obviously there is an issue here with the program.

I think it would it be easier to copy his Documents folder, IE favorites and Outlook .pst to a thumb drive, then install Vista fresh and drop the files back in? Everything would work.

Even if the program successfully transfers settings, Vista is not XP. How a setting works on Vista may not be the same as how it works on XP so they would end up changing it anyways. That means any small changes they want to the OS would have to be made again anyways so that makes the idea of saving them time a null.

Just some bits for thought.

I do agree with that, upgrading an operating system in place is like drinking the water in Mexico. Sure it might take care of your thirst, but you'll never know what problems will be coming your way.

Always best to clean install, but if you can't for whatever reason I hope you're able to get it working. Let me know if the winmgt service does it for you. That is actually the WMI service in Vista.

That program migrates files, settings, registry etc. There's probably a corruption somewhere or a changed setting that conflicts with Vista because Vista is not XP in any way. Even if the program supports XP >> Vista, the whole 'transfers settings/registry' doesn't sit comfortably with me because I don't trust the program to set things right going from XP to Vista. XP to XP, sure. Obviously there is an issue here with the program.

I think it would it be easier to copy his Documents folder, IE favorites and Outlook .pst to a thumb drive, then install Vista fresh and drop the files back in? Everything would work.

Even if the program successfully transfers settings, Vista is not XP. How a setting works on Vista may not be the same as how it works on XP so they would end up changing it anyways. That means any small changes they want to the OS would have to be made again anyways so that makes the idea of saving them time a null.

Just some bits for thought.

I use PC Mover on EVERY faculty/staff I upgrade and this is the first one with problems. Doing what you suggested would take so much more time, especially if the prof has 80gigs worth of data. Obviously, we will have to do this for this case, I was hoping someone could come up with a fix. :rolleyes: Thanks for the info and help guys

I do agree with that, upgrading an operating system in place is like drinking the water in Mexico. Sure it might take care of your thirst, but you'll never know what problems will be coming your way.

Always best to clean install, but if you can't for whatever reason I hope you're able to get it working. Let me know if the winmgt service does it for you. That is actually the WMI service in Vista.

I cannot find this WinMgt service... on xp or vista, however all the WMI's I can find on both XP and Vista are Enabled and Started. EDIT -- just kidding, I can't START the WMI on Vista... gives an error.

Back