VISTA RTM

annaconda

[H]F Junkie
Is Microsoft going to let us download free RTM version of VISTA. According to several website they are going to release RTM today.

Any thoughts please?

Or

Link for Download

I hope (who wouldn't ;)) but I believe it won't be public. Only select ppl will test it to make sure all works fine before shipping to factory for duplication since it require the use of a final cdkey, not beta.

Umm i heard it will be built 6.0. I need that until Microsoft release the complete Vista.

RTM = Release to Manufacturing. This is not a release 'candidate' or a beta, this build goes to the presses.

I wish.... I just cannot see MS giving away a final non-expiring full release version of Windows Vista for free. Rumor mill does have it that RTM might be released today though. A Russian site I'm not going to name supposed already has RTM 6000.... Probably a fake though.

annaconda said:
Is Microsoft going to let us download free RTM version of VISTA. According to several website they are going to release RTM today.

Any thoughts please?

Or

Link for Download

NO is the answer you seek, RTM is what you buy

phez said:
RTM = Release to Manufacturing. This is not a release 'candidate' or a beta, this build goes to the presses.
Bingo, this version doesn't make it to the public....unless you buy it.

djnes said:
Bingo, this version doesn't make it to the public....unless you buy it.

On the other hand, being allowed to download it if you have the appropriate licenses would make sense.
(Not really on-topic, but it would be a useful service to offer some day.)

HHunt said:
On the other hand, being allowed to download it if you have the appropriate licenses would make sense.
(Not really on-topic, but it would be a useful service to offer some day.)
I'm not familiar with this topic, but I was under the impression that some VLK customers could download legal isos of their licensed software.

djnes said:
I'm not familiar with this topic, but I was under the impression that some VLK customers could download legal isos of their licensed software.

If they are not doing that now, It shouldn't be too difficult considering Iwe can download VLK editions of software from our MSDN subscription.

djnes said:

Yes. they can. but typically not immediately. Even so VLK are not treated the same way as they were in XP. VLK licenses now require a authentication server that checks the licenses.

djnes said:

Recieving as many DVDs as potential installations would sort of be a waste, wouldn't it. :)
I was thinking more in the direction of Steam, where a single user can log on and get a copy.

Everybody should wait for vista sp1, since there are 500 bugs in RTM version.

Flyboat said:
Everybody should wait for vista sp1, since there are 500 bugs in RTM version.

Thats not enough of a reason to not get it, XP at RTM has something like 10,000 bugs or more. Iv been running vista for a few months now as my main OS and love it with almost 0 issues. Also anything as simple as a wrong color on something counts as a bug. IMO waiting for sp1 is just being picky.

Dapperdan said:
Thats not enough of a reason to not get it, XP at RTM has something like 10,000 bugs or more. Iv been running vista for a few months now as my main OS and love it with almost 0 issues. Also anything as simple as a wrong color on something counts as a bug. IMO waiting for sp1 is just being picky.

I really have no issue with my RC2 either...

Waiting for SP1 is a standard practice in business processes, but that probably doesn't apply to home usage. For me, I'll be waiting until it's been out for a little while, and the drivers seem to mature...then I'll make my decision. I'll probably get one copy for work, to begin testing in our environment.

djnes said:
For me, I'll be waiting until it's been out for a little while, and the drivers seem to mature...then I'll make my decision.QUOTE]

That's really what it comes down to for me too. I hope to build a new system with Vista, but before I do so I want drivers to be available for ALL my hardware. My printer doesn't currently work with RC2, for example.

annaconda said:
So do you guys think RC2 or Build 5840 will get updates like RTM?

I don't think it will. MS implied that it won't. I really don't know why.

annaconda said:
So do you guys think RC2 or Build 5840 will get updates like RTM?

I'm going to go ahead and say... no. The RC builds were basically a "gimme" from MS to allow the general public to do a personal evaluation on Vista. These builds were pretty much released as is. If MS provided updates to them, why would they even bother trying to sell it?

Anyway, since I love being a computer guinea pig, I'm buying Vista on day 1. Let the headaches begin!! :D

How much would Vista Home Basic N cost? about..

Hi,

If I install 5840 will I be able to upgraded to the real vista once it becomse available? Thanks.

Yea but I mean without reformatting. Just want to make sure before I take the leap of death!

coold8 said:
Yea but I mean without reformatting. Just want to make sure before I take the leap of death!
If it was my system, I'd do a clean reformat for the simple fact of going from a beta to a final copy.

coold8 said:

No you will have to do a clean install

I installed 5840 on XP Pro. I had to reformat the hard drive there is no option for upgrade right now. It might be in RTM version or final retail version.

Ok do you guys know which security suites are ready for VISTA.

If you have 5840 running with a beta key using the hack that's out, then you already know how it will be possible to set a legit key without re-installing, if that's what you want. But there might have been changes to the RTM.

I don't want to spend the money but I'm thinking about Vista...It is a lot quicker booting, pretty much all my stuff works, and I guess in time I will grow to appreciate the security. I might upgrade when there are official drivers out for all my devices.

And really XP just looks and feels a little clunky now.

ElaborateDream said:
That's untrue.

-- Dude who might end up working on SP1.
Can you give a little info on the kernel improvements that are supposed to be part of SP1? I hear MS is supposed to be using the Longhorn kernel for SP1. Also, Ballmer was quoted as saying that Vista shifts the code around in memory to random locations for each session to thwart various attacks on the OS. I read a while back that this was a 64bit only feature. Was this changed to include the 32bit versions recently? He never mentioned which version of the OS his son was using in the interview just that he felt safe letting him use it without antivirus.

If the kernel memory location shifting code is 64bit only will that change in SP1? I mean seriously the average user would benefit greatly from this feature and lets face it, the average consumer isn't installing the 64bit version for home use since there is so much software and hardware that won't work with it along with the memory requirements to run it well.

anyone know where i can still download RC2....i completely missed it.

and before anyone asks i DO have a legitimate key from microsoft to be able to run RC2.

I'm running RTM right now, and I've got to say its definately an improvement over the previous builds. nVidia driver support is terrible at the moment. Only complaint really. Its not as fast as XP, and I feel that Vista really is just XP with a new theme and some window effects. What happened to all the features they talked about at the keynote? What happened to WinFS?

Fuse said:
I'm running RTM right now, and I've got to say its definately an improvement over the previous builds. nVidia driver support is terrible at the moment. Only complaint really. Its not as fast as XP, and I feel that Vista really is just XP with a new theme and some window effects. What happened to all the features they talked about at the keynote? What happened to WinFS?

WinFS was pretty much killed a while ago. MS cancelled the project but is using some of it's tech in other products.

Fuse said:

im not going to lie, i had all the visuals shut down when i ran XP and now im running Vista with all of them on and i think Vista is alot faster.

tesfaye said:
Doesn't sound legal to me! Let me know how that reduced functionality works out for ya when the crack no longer works.

just like xp as long as you don't use window update, it will work

Back