Vista recovery options? (disk boot failure) (out of ideas)

Status
Not open for further replies.

winston856

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey guys thanks for stopping in to read this thread. I came back to my computer this morning to find it at that all familiar black screen with disk boot failure at the bottom.

So then I started doing the usual, slammed the vista dvd in and tried the start up repair, it does something then asks to restart but I get the same error.

The vista command prompt is somewhat neutered from XP's I guess, I tried bootrec /fixmbr and that didn't do anything. I can't system restore because it says I have no backups even though I do. When I start booting from the DVD and pick repair computer and it gets to that little screen where you're suppose to pick what OS to repair, there's none on there so I click next anyway and it takes me to the system recovery options dialogue box. I was going to load drivers but WD doesn't have any for my raptor.

I'm out of ideas, can you give me something I haven't tried or thought of?

Did you do a fixboot and chkdisk?

Repair install would probably get you up and running also, without whacking any of your user data.

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes I ran chkdsk and fixboot, chkdsk ran but didn't change anything, same with fixboot. :/

Actually when I run fixboot it says "element not found"...

Some other troubleshooting options:

Make sure your drives are being correctly ID'd in the BIOS and that it is set to boot off the correct disk.

Ensure the drive is properly connected if it's IDE, those can be shaken loose easily.

Vista has it's own fixmbr command and you can poke around with that also, if you didn't already figure that out.

well I have been messing around with Bootrec.exe and fixmbr and fixboot don't do anything. I tried rebuildbcd and it finds the installation but errors out.

I think my install is FUBAR'ed so I'm just going to reinstall, it really bothers me that this happened though because this is a new drive from WD and I just reinstalled a few weeks ago :mad:

I don't want this happening again so, I dunno. Thanks for your help :)

OMG!!!

I cannot believe this, my face is in the palm of my hand!

GUESS WHAT IT WAS!!!?!?!

The HDD boot priority was wrong, my TB was set to boot first. Where's that smiley that's bashing his head against a wall.

I though, oh no that's can't be it, wow I feel like a numbnuts at the moment. Real piece of work :eek::eek::eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back