Vista realy starting to slo bad

crewzen

Gawd
Any sugestions welcome. I am now 5 hours into a defrag, edit now 6-1/2 hours so far. edit: 18 hours running so far and not done. I stoped it at 7:12 that is a brain dead Vista 64 MS doing things they should leave to others.
it was also done monday at 2 am. This seems very slo for a program to defrag when it was just done. Everything seems to be slow lately. It takes 3 min. to boot. or to shut down.
I also notice that the raid is only running at 200MBps it used to do 580MBps with xp x64

OH info

2-quad core xeon's at 3.0 ghz
4gig memory
supermicro mobo x7da8
8-74gb seagate hard drives in an adaptec raid 5
8800 GTS 512
2 DVD 20X speed Vista 64 Ultimate
supermicro chasis

You could try disabling system restore and/or windows search service. I *though* that someone told me (or I might have read it somewhere) that the windows vista search service indexes your hard drives at every boot up. As for system restore, I'd turn it off (if you even use it) for every hard drive except where windows is installed. Finally, I'd make the size of your page file static.

Any sugestions welcome. I am now 5 hours into a defrag, edit now 6-1/2 hours so far.
it was also done monday at 2 am. This seems very slo for a program to defrag when it was just done. Everything seems to be slow lately. It takes 3 min. to boot. or to shut down.
I also notice that the raid is only running at 200MBps it used to do 580MBps with xp x64

OH info

2-quad core xeon's at 3.0 ghz
4gig memory
supermicro mobo x7da8
8-74gb seagate hard drives in an adaptec raid 5
8800 GTS 512
2 DVD 20X speed Vista 64 Ultimate
supermicro chasis

I tested recently, and every additional device the OS has to load @ bootup slows down the boot time. Including, but not limited to: Add-on RAID controllers, USB devices, etc.

restore has been disabled a long time ago and so has the start up routine been altered.

This wonderful defrag utility that MS has created is in capable of performing well on a large raid array and gets lost in itself. This defrag is a real piece of work.:mad::eek:

The size in GB isnt the problem tho it seems to not like anything over 7 disks in one array and goes a stray chasing it tail like a dog.:(

At this time I will wait until the SP 1 comes out and see if they have found a fix for this problem. If not back to XP x64. I wish they would just give us our money back since I paid over $400.00 for this Vista 64 Ultimate mess.

joining a domain or anything, is this a standalone rig?

any new softwrae installed?

is your raid array degraded possibly?

It is a stand alone workstation,
No the array is in good shape.

I am going to try one more thing and change the pci slot to a 133 from a 100 and see if that helps.

The only software new is the 8800 GTS 512 from a 3870 ati.

I used the erasor programs and went into regedit and cleaned up all the rest of what was left over.

Back