Vista RC1!!!!!!!!!!!

Hapatingjaky said:
I'm having a big issue right now, can not connect at all to the net using the latest build everything worked fine before, now I can not connect what so ever, anyone have any clues or solutions as to how MS broke this?

Installed Beta 2 just to make sure but it worked fine.

I cannot connect to the internet either, worked fine on the same box with xp and beta 2. I have an asus mobo with onboard "marvel yukon" ethernet card trying to connect through a linksys router. I can put in the router ip and change settings on there, and it says i am connected to the network, it can see, but not access my laptop's shared folders. Anyone found a solution to this?

Installation went very smoothly for me. I needed to retest some memory before selling it so I put 512MB that the laptop originally came with back in the laptop.

0:00m start boot Vista DVD
0:16m first reboot
0:22m 2nd reboot
0:28m installation finished, started performance check
0:32m login, initial user/desktop setup
0:38m finished windows update

:eek: That was fast.

Only 2 devices gave me problems: the AC Link audio and ML-2010 printer. I just downloaded the WinXP drivers for both and installed each. Now both work. Aero Glass wasn't enabled by default, but that was fixed by a quick preferences change.

I plugged in a 1GB USB flash drive and it asked if I wanted to enable ReadyBoost so I did. I don't know if I see any performance improvements though.

With only 512MB installed, performance is pretty acceptable. It doesn't feel as fast as WinXP with 512MB installed, but it doesn't feel much slower either. I'm pretty amazed that the installation and memory footprints are much improved from Beta 2 released in May. 5536 feels faster with 512MB than the last beta did with 1GB. The installation footprint including the 1GB swap file and 450MB hibernate file is "only" 7.4GB now.

Finally got it installed tonight, only drivers I had to install was for my Audigy2 and my ATI TV Wonder Pro.

Much faster than Beta1, smooth as silk.

vista5_1b_small.jpg

Now for all you complaining about memory usage, remember that Vista still has a lot of debug code running in the background, this will go away when it is actually released.

vista5_1c_small.jpg

I know someone was complaining about folder view options, hold down ALT under any explorer window, and you'll find everything is still there.

I never got a email to download this, But i Downloaded it yesterday anyway and called today and got a activation # from a phone representative, no problems so far.

I downloaded and installed it...not bad at all. The only issue my gaming system has is with the onboard sound. Only the S/PDIF out is listed, I can't get analog to work.

Anyway, it tells me it will expire in 12 days, I didn't get in on the beta2...am I S.O.L. to get an eval. key? I also paid to get the Office 2k7 beta...have it downloading now, I'll post some screen shots in a few.

InorganicMatter said:
Hmm...I'm idling at 30% RAM usage, which is what, 600MB? Not too bad...

I'm idling at 32% RAM usage on mine, which is a little over 300MB for me.

pxc said:
Only 2 devices gave me problems: the AC Link audio and ML-2010 printer. I just downloaded the WinXP drivers for both and installed each. Now both work.
WHOA! How did you get your ML-2010 to work???

ok, I found out why my printer wouldn't work. I have a photo printer AND the laser printer installed, both USB. The photo printer was showing correctly as a USB printer, however the laser printer was listed as LPT1 for some reason.

Changed that through "run as administrator" and all is well now.

Apallohadas said:
however the laser printer was listed as LPT1 for some reason.
Same here. I changed it to the virtual USB port and it worked after that. :D

Has anyone got some form of AIM (from AOL) to work on the recent builds of Vista? I tried AIM 5.9.3680 or whatever that build is and it froze on me. I haven't tried AIM Triton yet but I suspect it'll work. I've been using TerraIM everytime I install and boot into Vista but I want to go back to regular AIM for the "functionality".

As for my input into this pre-RC1 build it's looking good so far. Ever since beta 2 each subsequent build has been solid for me such that if there were no app or driver incompatibilities I'd use it as my primary os. Hope RC1 comes out soon so I can do another clean format and start the fun all over again.

rapperwith1p said:
Has anyone got some form of AIM (from AOL) to work on the recent builds of Vista? I tried AIM 5.9.3680 or whatever that build is and it froze on me. I haven't tried AIM Triton yet but I suspect it'll work. I've been using TerraIM everytime I install and boot into Vista but I want to go back to regular AIM for the "functionality".

As for my input into this pre-RC1 build it's looking good so far. Ever since beta 2 each subsequent build has been solid for me such that if there were no app or driver incompatibilities I'd use it as my primary os. Hope RC1 comes out soon so I can do another clean format and start the fun all over again.
I would just recommend using Gaim, because it is very similar to the AOL IM Clients before Triton.

pxc said:
Same here. I changed it to the virtual USB port and it worked after that. :D

I'll have to check that. That was one of the main reasons I switched back to XP and stopped beta 2.... Coulnd't print. I love that printer btw.

JonnyK said:
I cannot connect to the internet either, worked fine on the same box with xp and beta 2. I have an asus mobo with onboard "marvel yukon" ethernet card trying to connect through a linksys router. I can put in the router ip and change settings on there, and it says i am connected to the network, it can see, but not access my laptop's shared folders. Anyone found a solution to this?
There was a fix for the "marvel Yukon" in 5536 but its set up right now in RC1 but the IP part of it is now broke with the default drivers. Use the XP drivers from Marvel and it will fix it. Using them now and all is well!

Apallohadas said:
This build does NOT like Half Life2 or CSS. Random crashes, poor video performance.

Not one crash here with those games

I got AIM to work, AOL doesnt though when it goes to sign on it just closes out. I've played Farcry with it, although sometimes inbetween maps it will drop to the desktop and have the farcry splash screen up for a sec then go to the team selection screen.

Javelin3o4 said:
I got AIM to work, AOL doesnt though when it goes to sign on it just closes out. I've played Farcry with it, although sometimes inbetween maps it will drop to the desktop and have the farcry splash screen up for a sec then go to the team selection screen.
How did you get AIM to work? Is it AIM Triton or classic AIM 5.9?

i just went to the aol website and clicked the AIM button that was after i download and installed AOL 9.0 security edt. from their site.

Back