Vista RC1 Windows Explorer

lilbstrd

n00b
Has anyone had trouble with Vista's windows explorer. I installed RC1 on a slaved 120GB drive and it worked fine for a few days, but now the windows explorer keeps crashing and restarting and then crashing again. I haven't installed any programs on the drive, just surfed the web a bit. I've only downloaded AVG for virus protection and it shows nothing when ran.

I can probably reinstall and be fine. Just wondering if this was a plaguing problem in Vista RC1 or an isolated incident.

Try removing AVG and see if that helps. You are running an out of date beta. The version of AVG might not be compatible with RC1. I'm not saying that I know for certain but that could be an issue. You should be on RC2 at this point. Find a buddy with an MSDN subscription and ask him to download it for you. It's available now to subscribers. Your RC1 key will work with it. Did you install any applications that might have placed some Explorer Namespace icons on your desktop or that are part of the shell? Some of these are badly coded and will crash explorer because they are doing things each time you perform an action within explorer.

Basically you need to look at the applications that you have installed and see which ones offer any functionality that extends or integrates with the shell (explorer).

It was a virus. I upgraded to AVG 7.5 and updated and it found it and cleaned it out.

Awesome! I still suggest upgrading to RC2 if you are able to get a copy.

Back