Vista Random Lock-up

Acasia

n00b
I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in, but I recently upgraded my motherboard, processor, and ram. I've tried installing vista 3 times now and keep getting random freezes with Vista (and XP, although XP would just have the mouse and keyboard lock-up when plugged into the USB ports).

My system currently is:
Abit IP-35 Pro
E6750 (no OC)
2x1 gig Crucial Ballistix DDR2 800 @ 2.20V
WD 70 gig Raptor (plugged into SATA port 1)
Samsung SATA DVD burner (in SATA port 5)
EVGA 7950GT

I've already taken the system into Best Buy and they said all my hardware checked out, I was just missing drivers (I hadn't installed uGuru and it was reporting an unknown device). I'm at a loss and could use any help possible.

Try with just one stick of ram, might be bad ram.

And IMHO I would never walk into best buy with my PC, the one out here where I live have NO freaking clue about anything.

Just finished a few attempts at swapping out the RAM and running it with a single stick. Had random lock-ups with both sticks.

Some other information that may or may not help, I ran memtest86 test #5 on both sticks and had 0 errors on ~20 passes. When I can get windows to stay up long enough, I have managed to run Orthos for 10 min with a maximum temperature of 45 degrees. The computer didn't lock up during that test, but locked up shortly after when I went to delete a program.

I also failed to mention my PSU in my first post. I'm using a PCP&C TurboCool 510.

Im having some similiar issues with XP, my machine has been rock solid for a long time, I upgraded the cpu and put in a different hdd, it was ok for a month or so but now is giving me random lock ups.... im thinking its a program I installed but im having a tough time narrowing it down.

One thing I did do that worked was shut down all the services and running processes that were unnecessary... I got the computer to run for a week or so without locking up, but I had to do a reboot yesterday and after the reboot its locking up randomly again..

So Ive shut down all the services im not using again and well see what happens..

My advice to you is shutodwn unneeded processes and services and see if that helps.

Back