Vista ram and pagefile usage = WOW

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
Yep, it uses alot. I am going to slap a 3rd gig of ram in here....I have 2gb now, and it wants more! Hehehe.....and this is not alot of stuff open, just Winamp, 2 pages in tabs under IE7, and a couple other things incluing the vista sidebar....

vistaload.jpg

Unless I am totally misunderstand windows' memory management, it looks like you've got more than a gig of free physical memory. And unless you are thrashing, I don't think I would worry much about having so much stuff paged out. I just can't imagine you would be short on memory with 2 gigs and so few processes.

tas weird, i had a previous beta of vista, about 3 builds ago and installed it on a core duo with 1g of ram and 1,66 cpu's

thing ran fine, about 500mb of ram, IE didnt use alot and i could use it for typical light usage no probs.

jpmkm said:
Unless I am totally misunderstand windows' memory management, it looks like you've got more than a gig of free physical memory. And unless you are thrashing, I don't think I would worry much about having so much stuff paged out. I just can't imagine you would be short on memory with 2 gigs and so few processes.

I am not short on ram for this stuff, even most moderate to high end usage, but when I play a game like COD2 at high res, it can use a gig all alone......

TheRapture said:
I am not short on ram for this stuff, even most moderate to high end usage, but when I play a game like COD2 at high res, it can use a gig all alone......
What uses a gig? Windows or cod2? If it is cod2 then I don't see how it is a vista issue. And it looks like you should have a gig to use anyway. :)

Jeez, 1.23Gb in virtual memory :eek: Does your hard drive go off like every action you perform?

Lazy_Moron said:
Jeez, 1.23Gb in virtual memory :eek: Does your hard drive go off like every action you perform?

Nope. Actually very little paging at this point.

Lazy_Moron said:
Having things in the page file does not necessarily imply that he is page faulting on everything. Especially when he has as much free physical memory as he does.

jpmkm said:
What uses a gig? Windows or cod2? If it is cod2 then I don't see how it is a vista issue. And it looks like you should have a gig to use anyway. :)

I did not say it was an "issue" in fact, Vista is running even better than I expected. Compared to XP, Vista uses a TON more of physical ram and pagefile for light to medium usage. Like twice as much, easily. Put it this way, I would hate to try and be a "power user" with a gig or less of ram under Vista. :eek: :D

TheRapture said:
I did not say it was an "issue" in fact, Vista is running even better than I expected. Compared to XP, Vista uses a TON more of physical ram and pagefile for light to medium usage. Like twice as much, easily. Put it this way, I would hate to try and be a "power user" with a gig or less of ram under Vista. :eek: :D
I'm actually quite curious about memory usage in vista. Linux tends to use as much physical memory as possible, and it certainly doesn't try to hide that. I'm wondering if vista is doing something similar. This isn't to say that linux(or vista) is a resource hog, per se, but that it might just be taking advantage of the physical memory that it has, and this might be throwing off some users who aren't used to it.

In any case, I'm quite interested in seeing how well a "power user" is able to take advantage of vista with system specs such as yours. Especially compared to the same hardware under XP.

TheRapture said:

It IS a Beta. Memphis (Win98 Beta) Was the same way, HUGE memory usage, it'll calm down by Final

Eedit for Speelinggg

Back