Vista - Problem #43215.77 - Vista in a Box and the missing 64-bit.

Constantine769

Weaksauce
I heard that when one buys a Vista Retail (Non-OEM and Non-Upgrade) he/she will only get the 32-bit version and instructions on how to acquire the 64-bit DVD Install CD.

If I read this right from reviews of people who bought Vista, MS should be shot. Why pay the $10.00 delivery charge to have the actual 64-bit DVD finally delivered to you. Seems like 64-bit twin brother brother was too retarded to make it to the Box for shipping. Must be some B****S*** gimmick that MicroS*** is trying to pull.

If all above is true, how do I buy the 64-bit right away without the hassle of having to order the DVD itself from Microsoft and paying extra for something I've already paid for. I intend to buy the OS online (might be cheaper). I would like to have both 32-bit and 64-bit OS when I buy it. Does anyone know the solution to this problem that shouldn't be?

Thank you,

Constantine

P.S. Could anyone recommend a good site to buy the OS from and for cheap (except Newegg)? I intend to buy the Vista Home Premium or Business, maybe even the Ultimate version if its cheap enough (the only version that has both CDs already).

Vista Ultimate - Retail (Full) is the only package that comes with both x86 and x64 discs in the box. (Actually the upgrade might as well, I'm not sure). If you just want the x64 disc you can get the OEM license at a discount.

As for where to buy. I got my copy of Vista Ultimate from VioSoftware.com. When I got it they were under selling newegg by about 50 bucks. They even throw in 2nd Day FedEx for free, was a good deal.

Incorrect. The retail version comes with both 64 and 32 bit DVDs with instructions for how to obtain CD copies of Vista.

Incorrect. The retail version comes with both 64 and 32 bit DVDs with instructions for how to obtain CD copies of Vista.

So buying a retail version will have both DVDs of the 32-bit Vista and the 64-bit Vista? And the instructions is for obtaining the OS on a CD media in case the user does not have a DVD drive, correct?

If this is the case then I take back what I said about MS being shot, :p .

Are the drivers for Vista up to date now or are people still having massive problems with them? My friend has Vista (Ultimate I believe) and he said no driver problems at all. I am not sure if he is a unique case or the problems has been solved.

What problems are still rampant on Vista that has not been remedied so far?

Thank you for your responses, I appreciate it.

Constantine

Vista Ultimate Retail = Boxed product, 2 DVDs: one 32 bit installer DVD, one 64 bit installer DVD.

No other version or release of Vista will get you both DVDs at the same time, just that product listed above, period.

Drivers are up to date as of the RTM date which was early November, so yes, newer drivers have come out since then. As always, check for the latest versions of hardware drivers before installing Vista so you have them already downloaded and stashed someplace like another partition, external drive, USB thumbdrive, etc - or just wait till the installation is done and go from there.

The only "problems still rampant" would be video drivers with SLI issues (blame Nvidia mostly) and X-Fi sound drivers and crappy software (blame Creative, fully). The rest is in progress or already resolved. Basic rule of thumb: if you're trying to use hardware more than roughly 1 to 1.5 years old (please note I said OLDER than 1 to 1.5 years ago) then you might have some concerns, but then again you might get off lucky.

'Nuff typed.

Vista Ultimate - Retail (Full) is the only package that comes with both x86 and x64 discs in the box. (Actually the upgrade might as well, I'm not sure). If you just want the x64 disc you can get the OEM license at a discount.

Ultimate Upgrade does, indeed, come with both 32-bit and 64-bit DVD's.

I see two contradicting information here, one person says that it any retail version or upgrade of the Version will come with both the x86 DVD and the x64 DVD.

But . . .

The other person says that buying the retail or upgrade version (non-ultimate) will only get one of the DVD's either the x86 or the x64 and the instructions on how to get the missing variation of the OS.

Could someone please clarify what will the buyer exactly get after buying a retail version of the OS, the non-upgrade version (i.e. Vista Home Premium).

Thank you,

Constantine

I had Upgrade Vista Ultimate Retail and it had BOTH 64 and 32 bit DVD disc

Vista Home Premium Retail will only get you 32 bit DVD.

Here you go http://www.winsupersite.com/reviews/winvista_02.asp

take note of the * under the chart.

* Vista Ultimate includes both 32-bit and x64 Setup DVDs. Customers who purchase retail 32-bit versions of Windows Vista Home Basic, Home Premium, or Business can order x64 media from Microsoft for the cost of shipping and handling.

To Stupac, Upgrades versions are still considered a retail boxed product. So of course you got both DVD with Ultimate Upgrade.

My apologies for the mixup, I left out the words "Full or Upgrade" there in my very first sentence. It should have read:

bbz_Ghost said:
Vista Ultimate Retail Full or Upgrade = Boxed product, 2 DVDs: one 32 bit installer DVD, one 64 bit installer DVD.

Again, my mistake, sorry about that. I made a simple assumption that people might implicitly understand if you go to a store to buy the boxed product, you only have two choices: the full install version or an upgrade version, sooooo... that's why I didn't clarify it more the first time.

But then again, at Fry's you can walk in and buy OEM/System Builder versions too, and that's a retail chain. Go figure... But then again again, Fry's ain't no ordinary store either. :p

I bought 32-bit Vista media for a machine, but then changed my mind when I found a 64-bit processor for that machine. I used the 64-bit disc I had from my desktop along with the key from the 32-bit media and, low and behold, it worked!

If you can borrow the 64-bit disc from a friend, the install will work.

Back