vista pre-rc1: app fix (java)

dualblade

Supreme [H]ardness
when using java under firefox (and maybe IE, haven't tried), if you use the automatically installed version (1.5.0_06), aero is disabled every time java is used, as it seems to be incompatible. if you hunt around sun's web site a bit, they offer 1.5.0_08 that seems to work fine with aero. i downloaded it for an offline install, and ran it under xp sp2 compatibility mode and with administrative rights. for me, it didn't install correctly just double clicking on it.

just wanted to offer a heads up, as it was getting annoying for that message to pop up every time i'd visit a java site saying that aero was disabled.

here's a link to 1.5.0_08, although it seems to have a sessionid so it may not work for a direct link

EDIT: yeah, the link didn't work.

go to java.sun.com
mouse over the downloads button on top
pick java se
scroll down to about the middle of the page, and you'll see "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 8": that's your download

Thanks! I had the same problem with Aero turning off when launching a Java application, this will come in handy.

Cheers!

no prob. it's beta software, so i hope we all help each other out by posting the little fixes we find

Back