Vista Performance Vs. XP Pro

DPGX

Limp Gawd
Im sure there are probably more threads on this, but after work today and several problems with my new system and Vista over the weekend I decided to give XP Pro another run and wow and I glad I did.

So Ive used Vista pretty much since launch, Ive been a supporter, Im an early DX10 adapter, and all I can say is how did I not realize just how bad performance is compared to XP? I reinstalled XP tonight for the hell of it and gave SP3 a shot with UT3. The performance of the OS, the game, and literally every single app Ive thrown at this thing is night and day. I've also tried SP1 for Vista and must say its still nowhere near XP in terms of performance.

I lied to myself for nearly a year about Vista's performance and until 1) im forced to because of games or 2) Microsoft improves stability (display driver stopped responding isnt something that makes gaming experiences enjoyable), I will be staying with Windows XP Pro.

I truely cannot believe the difference on my box and I have no slouch of a system imo. So for now so long Vista. To everyone thats argued that XP Performance is better, I cant help but agree with you and now see why I actually did like XP.

I'm not sure the point of making a thread to announce an opinion, but to each his own. I'll just ask a simply question, for discussion sake, not trying to say you are right or wrong. It's your system, and you are certainly entitled to your own opinions, and to use whatever you want to on your own system...so here goes:

How would you respond to someone who's dual booted XP and Vista, along with trying them both on a second PC with swappable drive cages, and in both instances found Vista to be much more snappier and responsive, especially under a load? I'll throw one variable out there that might be the answer here. I compared XP x86 to Vista x64 in both instances. You didn't mention which platforms you were/are using, so I may be off base with this following claim. If you truly think Vista was slower than XP on the system in your sig, you either were using poor drivers, or had something horribly misconfigured. I have very very little experience with Vista x86, but Vista x64 absolutely flies on recent hardware.

did you try disabling superfetch before uninstalling? That seems to be the source of godawful slowness

*cue vista trolls in 3...2...1..*

Vista x86 vs. XP Pro 32-bit... I had the latest drivers for all hardware, i shut off every service i didnt need, indexing, super prefetch, system restore, etc were all disabled. Nothing was misconfigured, that much Im positive of, however I find it odd that I received the driver stopped responding error under Vista and not under XP Pro.

That driver not responding message probably means you were using a less than stellar driver, and would easily account for the issues you mentioned above.

Also, back when XP x86 and XP x64 were compared and debated, one of the biggest advantages people on the x64 side always posted, was better memory management, and that overall it was a snappier system. Even though those two OSes technically used different kernels, the same may very well be true with Vista's two platforms, when compared to each other.

That's all well and good, but I've seen Vista installs crippled with poor drivers, as could be the case with any computer. I, myself, haven't had any driver issues on my PCs, but have you tried checking on updated drivers for all your software? It's also definitely worth the $10.60 to get the Vista x64 disc as well. I'd say to get that disc, and run a dual boot for a while with your old XP setup and Vista x64. I think you'll find your experiences with Vista x64 to be better than with Vista x86.

I was using the 169.25 driver set that was released a few days ago but it also happens with the few sets before it. Im pretty sure the root of the issue goes deeper than a driver set though as its hard for people to reproduce and the same people have had the issue since day 1 with pretty much no resolution for the most part.

I will give x64 a try but I do have all the latest drivers installed currently...

The one thing I can say - my XP system is much more stable than Vista was and is significantly snappier. SP3 only seems if anything faster than SP2 was. Im sticking with XP Pro until things improve a bit more with Vista, whether that be drivers or the OS itself. I wouldnt consider it an opinion that every current driver is giving me a driver not responding error though.

That driver not responding message probably means you were using a less than stellar driver

The word on the street is there's nothing but less than stellar drivers available for Vista. Let's see in two years if it starts actually working or if Windows7 gets here first. :p

Back