Vista or Xp for this comp (specs inside)

2wiced

2[H]4U
Athlon 64 @ 2.2ghz
Geforce 6800 (unlocked) (16/6)
1gb of ddr 400
80gb hard drive

My friend plays games, what operating system should he install?

Vista 64 bit? 32 bit? Home? basic? ultimate? premium?
Xp ? Professional or Home?

What do you think?

he plays BF2 and maybe other games

he just needs to reinstall and asked me to help him out.

XP

1 GB ram will make you suffer while using Vista,
Your hard drive isnt quick and Vista makes big use if it for quite some time to precache which might be unbearable,
Vista is a bit slower for gaming than XP and with 1GB ram load times will be excessive due to swapfile activity.

even if i install vista basic for him, would windows basic run similar to XP since it doesnt have some Vista functions?? lol....damn... i dont know if i can find my old xp cd.

I have vista on my machine...but its a lot better than his.

i am gonna put in 256mb more ram, i found an old ddr stick.

Still no go huh?

XP 32 - my vista consumes 0,97 GB when browsing this forum and chatting on mirc.

holy crap!!! thats a lot! I have a Dell OEM Windows Home Cd. His computer has windows home from dell also but i dont have his cdkey...what can i do? Cuz i dont want to use my cdkey to install it on his computer? Anywhere i can find it in registry, this way i can reinstall and enter his cd key in?

You can run a program called Magic JellyBean to recover his cd key from his current Windows install. Also, if he has a computer from Dell, it should have a sticker on it.

As for the OS, stick with XP. I wouldn't consider 1 GB enough for a gaming system of either OS right now, but it would be better with XP.

Back