Vista OEM worth it ?!?!?

Kryogen

Gawd
Is there any difference between vista OEM home premium and regular vista home premium????

Because the OEM costs wayy less.

Thanks

Hey there are tons of threads regarding this topic, i would suggest a search.

For the quick answer, apparently you can only install OEM on one motherboard (system) but some have said they have been able to call Microsoft to be able to instal the os to another system or upgraded one.

Retail = fancy box and telephone support from Microsoft direct.

OEM = bare DVD and you're on your own as far as support is concerned.

It doesn't get much simpler than that, but the software itself is exactly the same. Just don't get an OEM DVD thinking you're gonna call Microsoft for any help if you need it, because they're not obligated to provide it with an OEM release purchase.

Also, OEM only comes with 32 or 64 bit, whichever you choose. It does not come with both.

I know that Ultimate Full comes with both in the box. Honestly, I'm not sure about Premium. You will need to research that.

There are two ways to get both 32 and 64 bit versions at the same time:

1) Buy Ultimate Retail since it has both in the box

2) Buy both OEM releases, 32 and 64 bit, at the same time.

Aside from that, there's no way to get both at the same time, and so far we haven't seen any evidence that if you buy a 32 bit OEM release you'll get a 64 bit DVD from Microsoft as you would if you'd purchased the 32 bit Retail boxed release - that's the only known way to get the 64 bit DVD for shipping & handling.

Is there any difference between vista OEM home premium and regular vista home premium????

Because the OEM costs wayy less.

Thanks

The risk of losing your activation code if you change your hardware. There's no telling what might happen in the future.

At Anand's a guy posted he switched his memory from 2gb to 4gb and had to reactivate and it didn't work. Then he had to call microsoft activation center and spent a couple of hours on the phone.

Would it be different with a retail version?

Why not simply go 64 bit? drivers aint the same?

I read some where that OEM can only have one online activation, and 5 call in activations.

I read some where that OEM can only have one online activation, and 5 call in activations.

I have XP OEM and I've called to activate much more than 5 times. Vista isn't any different from what I've heard.

The risk of losing your activation code if you change your hardware. There's no telling what might happen in the future.

At Anand's a guy posted he switched his memory from 2gb to 4gb and had to reactivate and it didn't work. Then he had to call microsoft activation center and spent a couple of hours on the phone.

2hrs?! Me thinks you exaggerate a wee bit. I've called to activate XP many times and have never spent more than ten minutes on the phone.

I went down to the shop at launch and found out

OEM AND RETAIL ARE different duh !

OEM = If you buy it you can only get either the 32 bit vista, OR 64bit vista, NOT BOTH !!!

RETAIL = Vista Ultimate came with BOTH the 32 bit and 64bit dvds inside it :]

Other vista versions i am no sure :cool:

So anyway, 64 bit vista has all the new security features, whereas the 32 bit doesn't have them.... So before buying think on that...

An article explaining the difference between 32 bit and 64 bit Vista

http://www.winsupersite.com/showcase/winvista_ff_x64.asp

This one shows you the Vista basic, premium, office, ultimate comparisons

http://www.expertvista.com/winvista/vistaeditions.html

Uhmmm... No.

Hm... yes ?

One of the primary benefits of using an x64-based version of Windows Vista is that these versions provide dramatically improved security features when compared to their 32-bit counterparts. Most dramatically, the Windows Vista x64 versions include a new secret security feature that will virtually eliminate remote system attacks for the first time on the Windows platform. This feature, previously undisclosed, ensures that system files load at random (1 in 256) memory offsets at every system boot, compared to previous Windows versions where system files always loaded to the same offset memory location. Because of this change, most (approximately 99 percent) remote attacks will simply fail on x64-based Vista versions.

Working in tandem with the No Execute (NX) technologies in modern x64 microprocessors from both AMD and Intel, Windows Vista x64 versions, like XP x64, also provide support for hardware-backed Data Execution Protection (DEP), which helps to prevent the buffer overflows that are commonly used in electronic attacks. (32-bit Vista versions utilize a less effective, software-based version of DEP.) Another unique x64 feature, PatchGuard, prevents malicious software from patching the Windows Vista kernel. PatchGuard, Microsoft says, works by preventing kernel-mode drivers from extending or replacing other kernel services and preventing third-party software from patching any part of the kernel.

Additionally, Windows Vista x64 versions require that all drivers be digitally signed by the developer. If you've ever installed a driver in Windows XP, you'll likely be familiar with the unsigned driver dialog, which offers a "Continue Anyway" option when a setup application attempts to load an unsigned driver . In the x64 versions of Windows Vista, this will not be possible. Microsoft says that it is requiring signed drivers so that it can ensure that drivers are of the highest possible quality; poorly-written drivers are, today, still the leading causes of blue screens and other system instability issues.

When taken together, these features ensure that the x64 versions of Windows Vista will be both the most secure and reliable versions of Windows ever created. Likewise, they will be more secure and reliable than the 32-bit Vista versions.

If you want to get all technical and shit, lrn2backuparguements instead of 2 words as an explanation.

Biggest "not worth it" to me? I can't sell my unactivated copy of Home Premium. Forums won't let you list it for sale, no eBay, etc. Ouch.

OEM is locked to your motherboard. You get a new board and you have to get a new copy of vista.
Aside from that one restriction you can install and reinstall as much as you want. And upgrade all other components again and again with no problems.

So what's the version to get?

Is home premium enough for the average user? Will I really miss the other stuff?!?

For clear and more detailed information about which version to choose check out the 'Vista Upgrade Versions' and 'Choosing which Vista to Buy' articles at the website in my profile.

Ultimate doesn't really add much of worth if you don't need domain-join for network connectivity to your workplace.

Moogle Stiltzkin, you're mistaking Vista's inbuilt security enhancements with some additional security measures (NX technology) which are a hardware issued enabled in x64 Windows. DEP is available in x64 XP as well. It isn't something new and exclusive to Vista.

^

Unless you live in Australia or anywhere else which allows Academic Upgrade to be restricted only in that you can't use it for commercial gain. I got a transferrable license for the same price as a non-transferrable OEM one ;)

I personally just recieved all my hardware from UPS and im not really looking forward to upgrading to a new mobo anytime soon, this is why i chose OEM. I usually build one PC and wait for it to either go dead, or become incredibly outdated. :)

I usually build one PC and wait for it to either go dead

Never had a mobo just up and die on you?

I have.

Of course, I should mention that I bit on the OEM, mainly because of the price point and I really hope that the "tied to your motherboard" deal just kind of goes away after awhile...

Back