• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Vista Never Sleeps

theriverlethe

Limp Gawd
Joined
Nov 14, 2006
Messages
142
I have my computer set to sleep in 30 minutes. It never does. In fact, it often wakes from S3 and will not go back to sleep. How do I find out what's preventing the computer from sleeping?
 
You're right. Vista never sleeps, it waits.

My guess it's probably your keyboard preventing it from going to sleep. If you uncheck, "Allow to wake from sleep" and see if it does go to sleep.
 
If it never goes to sleep there should be an event registered in the event log (under system i think) saying "blah blah prevented the computer from going to sleep".

If you still cannot figure it out from this, then i would pull everything out of the USB ports (except keyboard/mouse) and try it. Also make sure that any devices like the network card/keyboard/mouse all have ""Allow to wake from sleep" unticked as mentioned by Gott above.

Obviously you can force sleep from the startbar, to test (in case you didnt know)
 
I should've clarified. My computer will sleep if I initiate it manually. However, it wakes up hours later for no apparent reason, and will not resume sleep. Event viewer shows:

1. DHCP-Client - Your computer was successfully assigned an address from the network, and it can now connect to other computers.

2. Tcpip - The system detected that network adapter Local Area Connection was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation.

3. Tcpip - The system detected that network adapter Local Area Connection was connected to the network, and has initiated normal operation.

4. Power-Troubleshooter - The system has resumed from sleep.

Sleep Time: 4/22/2008 12:17:56 PM
Wake Time: 4/22/2008 3:14:42 PM

Wake Source: RTC

The times listed under "power-troubleshooter" do not match the date and time listed by event viewer.
 
Try taking a look at this,

Go to Network and Sharing Center, then

View status of the connection, then

Properties, then

Configure-

See how it is set up, there is an option for Vista to turn the device off to save power, if that is checked, then make sure that the "Allow this device to wake the computer" is not checked.

I had some funky issues with it turning my adapter off, so you may want to look at it. I'm racking my brain because I just read about this exact scenario when searching for my issue as well, it had something to do with with the computer getting pinged or getting an new IP address. If I can remember, I'll stop back.
 
Thanks for the tip, although I had already done that. ;)

I think I fixed it by updating my Deathadder mouse firmware.
 
Wake Source: RTC

Im sure thats Real Time Clock, do you have anything scheduled to run around the time it woke up. Maybe defrag/recorded tv etc etc etc.
 
I was wrong again, it wasn't the Deathadder.
I matched the time of the "power event" to OpenCASE Media Agent under the applications tree, so hopefully removing that will solve the problem.
 
I'm wrong, it wasn't OpenCASE that was waking the computer. I believe it was ehsched (Part of Windows Media Center).

Regardless, the problem is that the system simply will not go to sleep on its own. I have no problem sleeping manually. I've tried getting rid of every background program I could find. Does anyone have any ideas?
 
I have the exact same problem.

I can manuall get it to sleep. It will wake in the middle of the night to backup to WHS. Then never sleep.

Oddly if I boot it but do NOT log in then it will sleep.

I think some app I am loading is preventing sleep. Event log shows zip.
 
A few years ago with XP, in S3 it would always wake for no reason. I finally tracked it to the integrated network. Guess the BIOS option for not waking the computer from sleep never really worked. I bought a discrete NIC and I never had a problem with it again.

Not sure about Vista. I have a computer here with Home Premium however it is always on folding and running VMC.
 
Back
Top