Vista networking stops working...

criccio

Fully Equipped
I first noticed this when I went to "Network" in the start menu, and the other computers in my network did not show up. I then went to the "Network and Sharing Center", and to my disbelief, all I got was a white screen that said "the page failed to load" right in the center. :confused::eek:

Honestly I didnt even know where to start to fix this myself, so like most of us on [H], I fired up Google, and that led me to my first clue. This site:
http://www.vistax64.com/vista-networking-sharing/110471-page-failed-load-network-sharing-center.html

Not much help there, except for the last post, where there was a link to this MS article:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

Now I followed those steps, and ran "sfc /scannow", and half way through the scan, i randomly tried to open the Network and Sharing center again, and low and behold, it worked.:D I didnt even care that the scan didnt find any problems... at the moment.

I thought I was in the clear, even though it did bother me that I didnt know what the problem was. Unfortently, it happened again just a few minutes ago, and I ran the same command, sfc /scannnow, and It didnt find anything. Nor did it fix the problem. :(

Im a little concerned, as I cannot access any of my networked computers, or get the my network settings. Oddly enough, my Internet access still works.

Here is all I see:
Untitled-3.png

Please help! Or tell me where I should go to get help! Thanks. :)

I'll be following this with interest, I have that problem too. That window will just hang and lock on my computer until I end up actually killing it via task manager.

And for YeOldeStonecat, I'm on Vista 64bit, and I've never had AIM on my computer.

^^ same, Vista 64-bit, and have never had AIM.

Although I have never had the window lock up on me, it stays completely normal, it just doesnt load, and I cant access any of my networked computers.

^^ same, Vista 64-bit, and have never had AIM.

Although I have never had the window lock up on me, it stays completely normal, it just doesnt load, and I cant access any of my networked computers.

I have the exact same problem sfc /scannow didnt work, but it also happens for me for other sections of the control panel. This system is fully updated and a fresh install

I had this problem once.. it started after I toyed around with turning random services on and off that I thought I didn't need.

Well, i seem to have found a temporary fix for when it happens. I haven't been able to get past that though. Hopefully someone here can take my quick fix and figure out what the real issue is.

When it happens, (usually after a reboot), just end explorer.exe, then restart it. Works everytime for me.

And as jratzo mentioned, this also happens with a couple other Control Panel items, and isnt just secluded to the Network and Sharing Center.

Back