Vista network issue

drjonas0

Weaksauce
Hey all, I've got a little vista issue thats been killing me

So a customer comes in with a Vista Home Premium machine that cant browse the internet. The machine can get an IP, it can ping but not browse. Messengers work, but whenever I try to browse the internet on IE or firefox it says page cannot be displayed and sometimes re-directs to http:/// so i checked the hosts file and it had an entry that just said "/" so i deleted that but it made no difference. I have done a Winsock fix a couple different ways without success. Ive scanned for viruses/malware. Cleaned startup, disabled the windows firewall, it doesn't currently have AV.
Ive kinda run out of ideas, does anyone have any thoughts?

thanks

did you try a tcp/ip reset? did you try to force dns inside of tcp/ip? did you try to restore the internet explorer defaults?

What did you use to scan the computer for malware/virus?

You can try going into device manager, uninstall the network card drivers, reboot, then allow vista to reinstall the drivers.

Not sure what you mean by tcp/ip reset, just release and renew? If so then yes. I tried manually configuring DNS but it didnt work, I wouldnt think that DNS would be an issue since im able to ping by name and it resolves an IP. And for restoring defaults, it is already set at defaults and ive tried ie7, ie8 and firefox 3.0 without success

thanks for the reply but unfortunately no smoking gun

What did you use to scan the computer for malware/virus?

You can try going into device manager, uninstall the network card drivers, reboot, then allow vista to reinstall the drivers.

i took out the drive, plugged it into another machine and scanned it with avg8.5 pro and malwarebytes anti-malware

what I mean was netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt in command prompt then restart the computer. I mean I work for a local ISP as a call tech and that code I just gave you works wonders for people who is getting a IP address but cant browse. IF that doesnt work make sure you scan the whole computer for virus and spyware bc it sounds to me it still got either virus or spyware on the computer.

what I mean was netsh int ip reset resetlog.txt in command prompt then restart the computer. I mean I work for a local ISP as a call tech and that code I just gave you works wonders for people who is getting a IP address but cant browse. IF that doesnt work make sure you scan the whole computer for virus and spyware bc it sounds to me it still got either virus or spyware on the computer.

unfortunately it didnt work and i have done a scan externally with avg and malwarebytes.

One other kinda quirky issue ive noticed is that sometimes when i try to go out to other pages (yahoo, msnbc, etc...) it re-routes it to http:/// and says the address is not valid. I checked the hosts file and its clean, any other thoughts on what could cause the browser to be potentially hijacked?

well it sounds like you need to remove internet explorer and reinstall it. because it internet explorer is crashed if its redirecting you back to http:///.

also sometimes avg doesnt pick up all the viruses so try a different virus scanner like CA or something.

I would also reinstall firefox also just to be on safe side I never heard firefox doing same thing as IE I mean I dont like IE I use firefox but who knows and this why I hate vista 2 many dam problems.

ya, i actually installed firefox for testing purposes so it was installed after this started happening, still ill try reinstalling ie

Install Malwarebytes on the machine itself and run a scan.

An external scan from another computer only removes the files, but it doesn't remove the corrosponding registry changes that were made by the infection. Malwarebytes will pickup on those and correct them.

It wouldn't hurt to scan it with Spybot Search and Destroy as well as scan the computer using a trial copy of NOD32.

Alright finally fixed it

It turns out that the customer originally had tried to remove the Norton trial that came with the machine and for whatever reason there was some protocol that was left over that was blocking the http traffic. Disabled and removed the protocol and ran the norton removal tool and success, the inet is back

thanks to everyone for the replies!

yeah when you uninstall a program these days it doesnt do a thorough job. always crap left behind.

Back