Vista Multithread??

Hello all,

I was wondering, will Vista take advantage of multi threading, and not just in a patched way, but built from the ground up for dual core support?

Also what about 64bit? will there be standard consumer versions? if so, will I be able to run 32bit things on there in a sort of compatibilty mode, or will i have to have two OS?

thanks

f

i know for a fact that vista will be sold in a 64 bit version (x64) and 32 bit version (x86). im not sure if you will purchase the copy you like or they will both be included (in the beta they come together). as for the MT issue. really not sure, someone else will need to answer. Also there is a forum called operating systems that this would be more appropriate for.

Removing support for threading would require a complete rewrite of the OS. And many of the programs that run on it.

umm do you mean multiple cpu cores? even XP can assign different tasks to different cores...

if you actually mean threads than yes.. unless you're using DOS or something, your computer can take advantage of multiple threads too (ymsgr and norton on at the same time :cool: )

Boardin087 said:
(in the beta they come together
Not in the downloaded version, they don't. Even the media you can purchase requires you to specify which platform you want, if I remember correctly.

djnes said:
Not in the downloaded version, they don't. Even the media you can purchase requires you to specify which platform you want, if I remember correctly.

Every retail purchase will come with both x86 and x64 discs in the same box.

hazzamon said:
Every retail purchase will come with both x86 and x64 discs in the same box.
That's what I read and was hoping for in the retail product section. The beta's, for now, are separate.

djnes said:

The beta dvd's that were purchased have both 32 and 64 bit versions in the same package. It was a nice surprise.

Back