vista makes games choppy?

thebtone

n00b
i just installed windows vista and have notice that it is making my online games choppy. Counterstrike source has started getting choppy (one second you are somewhere, then all of a sudden you have jumped somewhere else in a split second). Call of duty 4 is also having this problem online.

anyone know what to do? i tried turning off windows firewall and that didn't really make a difference.

i know my mainboard (evga 680i) is up to date, but i am not sure about AGP/PCIe drivers seeing as i am not sure what they are

Since this is with online games only (I'm assuming), try the standard Vista "tweak" for networking. Go into the properties if your network connection, and disable IPv6, and both items starting with Link Layer.

Yep, that's exactly it. That cured my PCs of the network transfer problems.

with the internet protocol turned off i had no internet...firefox and cod4 didn't work. but with just the link layers turned off it seemed to work like normal

According to the screenshot, he did it right, although that shouldn't have had any effect on his networking. Unless, of course, he's on an IPv6 network, but I'm guessing that isn't the case.

Set the options up like you did in your screenshot, and just verify that you can get out to the internet first, by checking a few websites.

i just did the disabling thing..and seems my browsing is faster...or its just me?

i just did the disabling thing..and seems my browsing is faster...or its just me?
Nope, shouldn't be just you. I was having a horrible time copying files to a Win2003 server. It would take an hour for 500 MB or so. Once I disabled the things mentioned above, my file transfers were running at expected durations. If you mean web-browsing, the same concept might apply. I can't say I noticed a difference in web-browsing before or after.

While you're at it remove also QoS as it only adds overhead. If you don't do home networking, disable the client for microsoft also.

okay, i don't know how i screwed up the first time, but i tried disabling ipv6 then restarting my computer. it seems to have worked fine ever since. but strangely enough it has slowed down my torrents....

Back