Vista killed my onboard sound

albany

Weaksauce
I recently installed Vista 32 bit and am using an Abit NF-M2S board.

Initially the sound worked fine but then it just disappeared. Windows is reporting "no audio device installed". The realtek HD device is onboard.

Others are reporting this problem elsewhere and are variously reinstalling the drivers or re-adding the hardware via device manager with good results. I've tried both of these with no luck. I also system restored to a point when the sound was working but still no luck in getting it back. The Realtek card was listed as a potential device in the "add new hardware" list initially but now has disappeared.

I am waiting for Terratec to create Vista drivers so I can use a dedicated Aureon soundcard but in the meantime does anybody know how I can get the onboard sound back?

Also my wireless mouse wont work properly under Vista but a wired mouse seems ok? Any ideas on improving that?

Cheers
Albany

What model# of sound card do you have? It has to be compatible with Vista or you will never get it to work.

Same goes for your mouse.

What model# of sound card do you have? It has to be compatible with Vista or you will never get it to work.

Same goes for your mouse.
My board is apparently "Vista Ready". There aqre Vista drivers for it. I've installed them with no luck and it was working initially. Now nada. I've researched and this is not an isolated problem. My mouse is just the standard microsoft optical. If that is not Vista compatible I don't know what can be.

My board is apparently "Vista Ready". There aqre Vista drivers for it. I've installed them with no luck and it was working initially. Now nada. I've researched and this is not an isolated problem. My mouse is just the standard microsoft optical. If that is not Vista compatible I don't know what can be.

Have you checked device manager?

If it isn't an isolated problem- surely you have ran into solutions?

Have you checked device manager?

If it isn't an isolated problem- surely you have ran into solutions?

Yes I have. As I said in the original post some people are reporting re-installing the Realtek drivers and/or the hardware works. Others are reporting no luck either way. I'm type 2. Odd thing is it worked initially and then just stopped. Like me on a Friday afternoon.

just to ask but are the "others" that are having this problem using the same motherboard? or is it a audio chipset issue?

just to ask but are the "others" that are having this problem using the same motherboard? or is it a audio chipset issue?

It is an audio/chipset problem. I read the same issue on a number of different boards. It is strange that the Realtek device just disappeared from my list of potential hardware add ons. It is all just very strange. Wish I was still on XP.

It is an audio/chipset problem. I read the same issue on a number of different boards. It is strange that the Realtek device just disappeared from my list of potential hardware add ons. It is all just very strange. Wish I was still on XP.

so it not showing in the potential hardware add ons, does this mean that you can not load drivers for it? if so, this sounds like a BIOS issue if the hardware device just goes away...

Two things to look for, might help, might not

1) Make sure the BIOS is setup for sound from the motherboard,
might say enabled/disabled

2) If its setup in BIOS, check device manager for any hardware under 'sound'
or 'other' devices looking for I beleive a yellow ? or something similar.
If you find it, select it and remove it. Go to the top on your computer name and
right mouse click and do a rescan of devices. It may then find the on board sound
card and prompt you for the drivers.

Vista needs some work in this area. I've seen it install drivers under the
wrong device heading in device manger, then go undetected afterwards. I have a similar issue
with a Creative ZEN xtra MP3 player that won't work under Vista for this
very reason.

Two things to look for, might help, might not

1) Make sure the BIOS is setup for sound from the motherboard,
might say enabled/disabled

2) If its setup in BIOS, check device manager for any hardware under 'sound'
or 'other' devices looking for I beleive a yellow ? or something similar.
If you find it, select it and remove it. Go to the top on your computer name and
right mouse click and do a rescan of devices. It may then find the on board sound
card and prompt you for the drivers.

Vista needs some work in this area. I've seen it install drivers under the
wrong device heading in device manger, then go undetected afterwards. I have a similar issue
with a Creative ZEN xtra MP3 player that won't work under Vista for this
very reason.

1. yup it is auto rather than disabled

2. I tried what you suggested when I could. The realtek card has now disappeared as an option in the "add new hardware" menu. Lots of other soundcards but now no Realtek. Weird.

Also "Sound, game controllers etc" no longer appears in device manager. Just disappeared.

Others have experienced the same. I'm stumped. And soundless.

Back