Vista... "It's all about the Benjamins... sorta"

Profitable or not, Microsoft had to release an upgrade to XP eventually. Its ironic, upgrades in the past we anticipated because the current releases stunk so badly. This one no one seems to be excited about, i think, largely due to the excellence of XP.

No doubt, Microsoft is taking a long term view of this, profits will come. Also, think of the support contracts MS will no doubt be writing... Those are hugely profitably.

"excellence of XP"

Man, you should go into marketing. :D

One thing to remember: most everything that is being said about Vista presently - "it's too big" "it needs a new computer to run it properly" "it's so bloated" etc etc - are all things said about, oh I don't know, 5 years ago... roughly... give or take a few months...

About XP.

Also, Vista Home, Home Premium, and Ultimate have a 5 year product support lifespan; Business and Enterprise have 10 years of product support - simply unheard of for a Microsoft operating system in the past. This information taken from page 18 of the Microsoft Windows Vista Product Guide.

Long term, indeed.

bbz_Ghost said:
One thing to remember: most everything that is being said about Vista presently - "it's too big" "it needs a new computer to run it properly" "it's so bloated" etc etc - are all things said about, oh I don't know, 5 years ago... roughly... give or take a few months...

About XP.

This is quite true... I've been using Vista since beta 1 last febuary and I'm quite pleased with it. All my daily use machines have switched over and I've not had any issues to speak of.

bbz_Ghost said:

True, true, I thought that w2k was the best until i found it couldn't do Intels HyperThreading as good as XP, now i've been on XP and think Vista for now is a waste till it matures, most likely after 1st/2nd year microsoft will start seeing more profit from Vista.

dekard said:
This is quite true... I've been using Vista since beta 1 last febuary and I'm quite pleased with it. All my daily use machines have switched over and I've not had any issues to speak of.

I have it on my work laptop and home PC, Business. Works great on both. One thing I noticed is that I can not run Aero Glass on my laptop because my IBM Client for the AS/400 will not connect when enabled but will when it is not. Strange in-deed. Only other thing I noticed is that for some reason I can not install Adobe Acrobat for Vista due to some file permission violation, even though I have full control and ownership of the whole drive.

But I do like the ability to update to other versions if you like and the 10 year business cycle.

Try installing Adobe Reader by right-clicking on the installer and "Run as administrator." I had that issue with Nero 7.5.7.0 (the first Vista ready version of Nero) and it would complain when you try to run Nero; turns out it needs to have some permissions set on the Ahead Registry subkeys. Perhaps Adobe Reader is doing the same thing.

The issue with Vista and this type of problem is that even when you're on an "Administrator" level account you still have to OK most every activity - this is how UAC works, so people are just going to have to get used to it from now on. Sure, you can totally disable UAC if you want - a very very bad idea.

Or you can use that neat little Group Policy edit to automagically elevate without consent or credentials which prevents most of the popups asking for permission to do things (the "You need Administrator rights to do <xxx>" thing) - but by doing so you completely miss the point of UAC which is notification to you, the user, regardless of whether you're an Admin or not that something is trying to execute itself as a process.

Either way, I don't have issues with UAC since even as an Administrator I'm not installing stuff 24/7 - I see the popup basically one time when I install software, and never again unless something happens that really does require my attention or I should be notified about.

UAC works very nicely; it's just something people need to get used to. They, meaning the users, have asked Microsoft constantly for 20 years to make a more secure OS. Now they've got one, and the first thing they start doing is "Oh I don't like this." Well, Unix/Linux/OSX do the same things: they prompt for user interaction when something is happening that the user - even an Admin - should be made aware of.

But it bothers Windows users more than Unix/Linux/OSX users because they're simply not used to having a more secure OS in the first place.

"Time's are a'changin'..."

I have UAC off on mine since I install and remove crap all the time due to being IT Admin and needing to test Crap and also running certain things that it bugs me about. I will be re-enabling it on my Home PC once I have everything back on it I need. Probably enable it on the laptop after all is tested and done. All Users and my Wife's will have is enabled always.

Back