Vista issue, slow logon

Swordfish45

Limp Gawd
My laptop is running Vista 32bit Ultimate, and recently i shut it down after it froze trying to hibernate. When i started it up again, everything was normal untill i logged on to my screenie. From there, everything took a loooong time to load and respond. First i would get a black screen with the cursor, then the taskbar, then the desktop and Windows Explorer. The normal startup programs took over 10 minutes to finish loading.

Safe mode operates normaly, and i tried a system restore, but nothing changed.

Also, when i logon, i get an error message saying "security dialog box failed to load"

Any ideas?

Fixed it. The problem was AVG antivirus.

I knew it wasn't fully compatable when i installed it, but it was still working so i kept it. Then, while it was left on one night, it downloaded a core update that caused the problem.

There is a helpful tool under the Performance tab of control panel that i used to figure it out. Go to Performance, and on the side go to Advanced Options, warnings will be listed as to potential problems that have been causing instability or bottlenecks.

The moral is, AVG is incompatible with Vista to date.

I have AVG running on a few Vista Machines and have never had a problem. I use the pay version and not the freebie one so I am not sure if there is an issue there.

yeah, im running vista 64 and the recently released free 64bit AVG, no problems yet.

Back