Vista is faster than XP

4600cc

n00b
:eek:

You didnt misread the subject. My experience with Vista is much faster than with XP, same computer, same outrageous amount of software titles than I will hardly ever use. Vista:

a) Loads faster
b) Loads programs faster
c) Allows for faster user experience when using programs and browsing files

It is important to say that I didnt notice difference while it was clean, it is only when I loaded all the software, then it became clear that Vista is faster. Mind you, I noticed faster experience before defragmenting for the first time, after defragmenting for the first time it is blazing fast.

I run a lot of crap in background too, MSN Messenger, Skype, honestech TVR, DAEMON tools, Remote control, Symantect AV, SOUNDMAN.exe, Aero, Sidebar full of gadgets, big resolution, voice recognition.

Recovery from errors is easier too, I dont even have to reboot.

Things bad about Vista:

a) Requires beefy video card, $90 buys 512 MB card that does the job done
b) Does not support some of the hardware, such as game/midi ports, Sound Blaster Live! Value.
c) Windows Media Center does not work with cheap sabernet tuner.
d) Vegas and all other Sony software does not work with Vista, probably due to the fact that Microsoft has its own solutions in place, I have hard time believing Sony was lazy enough not to make those work.
e) Adobe Acrobat 8 does not work with Vista, installer keeps restarting all the time.

Thats all folks. There was more fuzz back when XP came out. Every guru was recommending to stick with 2000. It wasnt until I met the real guru who told me XP can do things that 2000 wouldnt, when it comes to recovery, then I upgraded, and loved it.

With Vista, I went to it a month after it came out, and I already love it. I use it for software development. By the way, Vista is a lot like XP/2003. VISTA IS A LOT LIKE XP/2003. Debate all you want, VISTA IS A LOT LIKE XP and 2003.

I got in serious using speech recognition, speech recognition as apple is that export!

"I am typing this using speech recognition. Speech recognition does not work in Vista!"

:D

SO, SHOULD YOU GET VISTA? ONLY IF IT DOES NOT COST YOU MONEY! You should also consider buying a computer other than crappy Dell, as Dell is known for crap and Vista requires top of the line. (Mine was build by me in 01, and it still is tops of the line.) Just a .02 cents there coming from a guy who actually completed his certs and does IT administration for a living.

P.S. Vista is a lot like XP and 2003 Server. It uses some Windows 3.1 code too, such as message box code.

Stop trolling guy. What I got in my machine is not important, plus I dont brag like loosers do. Nor I care if you dont find me credible, there is no need to get defensive and troll in my posts. I gave these boards my .02 cents, debates are for loosers.

Hmmm if you don't want a debate then you shouldn't make threads like this.
Vista doesn't need a top of the line rig, hell i got a store bought HP and i installed a clean copy of Vista ultimate and it runs great. Oh and I don't consider a $90 video card "beefy", lol.

My thoughts.

Anything from 2001 is not top of the line. $90 isn't a beefy video card. It's as beefy as a chicken nugget.

Vista is potentially faster because of superfetch.

My thoughts.

Anything from 2001 is not top of the line. $90 isn't a beefy video card. It's as beefy as a chicken nugget.

I agree, with 2GB of ram I find it very fast in loading my regular apps / games etc
and its pretty to boot :D

I agree, with 2GB of ram I find it very fast in loading my regular apps / games etc
and its pretty to boot :D

I've also got a 2GB Flash drive that I use for Ready Boost. It seems to help a little bit. (Not with games, but in general.)

My thoughts.

Lets see, in 2001 I was running an Athlon Thunderbird 1400, 768 MB of Ram, and an Orginial Radeon. All this on my trusty A7V133 Motherboard.

A good system for its time, however not high end today by any standards

I've also got a 2GB Flash drive that I use for Ready Boost. It seems to help a little bit. (Not with games, but in general.)

what speed is your flash drive by the way, I know the cheap 2GB ones are at about 6mb/s or so xfer rates

a) Requires beefy video card, $90 buys 512 MB card that does the job don

SO, SHOULD YOU GET VISTA? ONLY IF IT DOES NOT COST YOU MONEY! You should also consider buying a computer other than crappy Dell, as Dell is known for crap and Vista requires top of the line.

Hmm, I'm using a rankajank 7300 LE and everything works just fine at 1680x1050. Also, I have a Dell. And, shock, it works as it should.

You sound like a Best Buy salesteen.

My Dell needs 2GB RAM...this laptop only has 1GB. Vista, however, has not shown its "speediness" to me yet, probably because I haven't owned it long enough for its self-tuning process to kick in.

a good question is the difference between high speed flash drives and regular run of the mill ones

I think your cruzer is the standard 3-6mb/s xfer rate

I saw a kingston MiGo that was 16mb/s but it cost about$100 for 2gb :S

wonder hwo much of a difference it would yield in Vista, anyone chime in if they have any experience with it?

SO, SHOULD YOU GET VISTA? ONLY IF IT DOES NOT COST YOU MONEY! You should also consider buying a computer other than crappy Dell, as Dell is known for crap and Vista requires top of the line.

Well.... I guess I really messed up:confused:

I actually paid for several copies of Vista.. mistake number one... and I actually installed said paid for copies on a couple of Dell's "crap" machines.. old ones too.. P4 3g Northwood boxes with 9800 pro AGP video and only 1g ram... 80g hdd's... I am such a fool:rolleyes:

Seriously, I am having no problems with these machines, and Vista is running very well for me. I've done about two dozen Vista installs so far, not alot, but more than many, and I have been very pleased with it so far.

And making statements like "Dell is known for crap" without some kind of explanation is, well... stupid, in my opinion...

SO, SHOULD YOU GET VISTA? ONLY IF IT DOES NOT COST YOU MONEY! You should also consider buying a computer other than crappy Dell, as Dell is known for crap and Vista requires top of the line. (Mine was build by me in 01, and it still is tops of the line.) Just a .02 cents there coming from a guy who actually completed his certs and does IT administration for a living.

So , I should get Vista if I can obtain it for free because
Dells are crap and a 2001 computer is top of the line?

sorry , but I have no paperwork indicating that I have completed anything .. tho I am in an IT administrative type position learning as I go (and the more I learn the more I realize how much I don't know) running linux and windows boxen side by side .... for some reason tho, your reasoning doesnt seem quite up to par ...

I like Vista and have it running on "top of the line" computers here in my computer lab consisting of "top of the line" Athlon XP +1900's and up and some "top of the line" P4 2.4b's and up all running 512megs of "top of the line" DDR with some super beefy Radeon 8500's to Beefy 9200se's and up (9500,9600,9800pros and some Ti series).. even running a beefy Geforce 3 ..all 128 to 256meg cards.

[twistwords]
storal of the mory is ... Dell's suck and you should pirate Vista
[/twistwords]
:)

I guess it doesn't matter since he's banned now, but he posted his rig in another thread: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030752319&postcount=3

I run a 680 watt PSU here.

Only cost me $20 from eBay, cheap to repair as far as parts go, and reliable.

I have 2400+ XP, 266 MHz bus, 1 GB Ram, Gigabyte motherboard with 1 agp and 5 PCI, two SCSI drives, 2 ATA133, a floppy, a zip, and DVD-RW, a card on every slot.

I know, I know, it is quite the system, a true beauty to behold.

:eek:
d) Vegas and all other Sony software does not work with Vista, probably due to the fact that Microsoft has its own solutions in place, I have hard time believing Sony was lazy enough not to make those work.
e) Adobe Acrobat 8 does not work with Vista, installer keeps restarting all the time.

hate to break it to ya, but Sony products DO work. I have Soundforge and Acid on mine.

Also, Adobe Acrobat 8 DOES WORK!

hate to break it to ya, but Sony products DO work. I have Soundforge and Acid on mine.

Also, Adobe Acrobat 8 DOES WORK!

LOL, I'll be honest with you- I didn't read any of the whole OP and nor did I read any of the comments, but what caught my eye is that Acrobat 8 doesn't work.

It installed just fine for me as well, though. I didn't have any problems.

Quick fix for ya on the adobe/vista thing, change the compatibility mode on the installer file to windows xp sp2 then right click the file and run as admin. Should install just fine at that point.

Back