Vista is broken

M4573R

Gawd
I have very new laptop with vista home premium on it, and here are the problems:

tankeng.exe taking over a gig of ram
rundll32.exe taking over a gig of ram
explorer crashes when right clicking on the desktop

I can't for the life of me get chkdsk to work, don't know how related it is.

Any ideas? Or should I just wipe the damn thing.

That's at best very broken, or at worst viral behavior. Before reinstalling, I would make sure that my memory is 100% stable.

Also, please post a screen shot of task manager - that's got to be a sight to see.

So what could have caused such epic failure?

Oh btw, those processes aren't ALWAYS taking that much ram; just when it feels like being extra special.

haha this sounds really interesting. I love how much vista sucks, SP1 didn't do anything at least for me and my 32bit Vista Business. I'm getting Home Premium shortly but I doubt that will make much of a difference. My computer freezes every time it sleeps and the power button nor the reset button can turn it off or reboot it. I have to cut the power to the psu in order to start my computer again... interesting that Vista has been out this long and they still can't fix critical operating problems like these... Your situation sounds like a mess, I would definitely wipe and reinstall.

Remark: Those aren't Microsoft problems. Yell at the company that wrote your drivers.

haha this sounds really interesting. I love how much vista sucks, SP1 didn't do anything at least for me and my 32bit Vista Business. I'm getting Home Premium shortly but I doubt that will make much of a difference. My computer freezes every time it sleeps and the power button nor the reset button can turn it off or reboot it. I have to cut the power to the psu in order to start my computer again... interesting that Vista has been out this long and they still can't fix critical operating problems like these... Your situation sounds like a mess, I would definitely wipe and reinstall.

sleep works just fine on my system

I think the real problem is the laptop. Is it 100% fudged? I can't find anything on the internet about those 2 processes taking over a gig of ram.

Something is definitely up; on my machine that's not been rebooted for 20 days (it sleeps), instances of taskeng.exe take up less than 10MB, and rundll32.exe less than 3MB. You could run Task Scheduler and see if it lists any running tasks?

I agree somethings wrong, I have 69 processes running on my laptop and its only taking just a 1 GB.

One thing you could try is running sfc /scannow

If that doesn't work- you could try a repair install (only after knowing you've got a backup, of course).

My computer freezes every time it sleeps and the power button nor the reset button can turn it off or reboot it. I have to cut the power to the psu in order to start my computer again...

Like someone else said: That's not Microsoft's problem.

If explorer is crashing when you right click, you most likely have a browser helper installed or some context menu item from a plugin that is misbehaving or malicious. If you don't have any critical data on that computer, wipe and start over and see what happens.

Vista + Laptop = fail...

I have upgraded the preformance on 6-7 laptops now...by installing XP instead of Vista on them...

Whats funny is I installed Vista on my aging laptop and it shaved several seconds of the boot and made everything else more snappy. :confused:

Heck, Vista is more improved in the laptop arena simply because of the much better sleep/hibernation/wireless features.

So what could have caused such epic failure?

Oh btw, those processes aren't ALWAYS taking that much ram; just when it feels like being extra special.

I have very new laptop with vista home premium on it, and here are the problems:

tankeng.exe taking over a gig of ram
rundll32.exe taking over a gig of ram
explorer crashes when right clicking on the desktop

I can't for the life of me get chkdsk to work, don't know how related it is.

Any ideas? Or should I just wipe the damn thing.

Vista bashers, pay no attention to them. Must be a lame kids attempt to make himself feel extra special.

I've been running Vista on my work Inspiron notebook (C2D 2GHz) since day one with a Vista Reliability Index of ~9+

It's very responsive compared to XP.

I swear half of this entire forum are fakeposts.

You need to clean the viruses and corrupted drivers off your system. vista with 2 gigs of ram should not be less responsive than XP.

No. Wipe the laptop and do a clean install. Since this is a new laptop, I shudder at the enormous amount of bloatware that came with it.

On my Vista SP1, I have three instances of taskeng.exe, taking 1.5 to 2 MB of RAM each and two instances of rundll32.exe taking 508KB and 1216KB of RAM.

It could be a virus. Many trojans use rundll32 to launch themselves as a system process (I think that's what it's called). When you try to remove them from the registry startup, they'll add themselves back automatically. Do a virus scan and look at Msconfig - if you have entries with odd names, containing commands like Rundll32 launching dll files from places like the Temp folder, you're in trouble. Explorer.exe might also be a masquerading virus, some trojans pick names like explorer.exe, msserver.exe, outlook.exe etc. to trick the user into thinking they're legit.

I swear half of this entire forum are fakeposts.

You need to clean the viruses and corrupted drivers off your system. vista with 2 gigs of ram should not be less responsive than XP.

self proclaimed high school iTpros

in my experience vista is def more snappy than xp. You might need >1 gig of ram to experience the improvement, but its there.

Well, XP vs Vista comparisons do not belong here, because it's obvious that something is messed up with the thread starter's computer. His taskeng.exe and rundll32.exe processes are using one gig of RAM each when they should only be using a couple of megabytes. Whatever the problem is, it's not Vista itself.

Back