Vista install problem - grey & teal screen before setup

freakin

n00b
I built a brand new computer today and purchased OEM vista ultimate full (not upgrade).

p5w dh
e6600
geforce 7950gt
2gb memory
150gb raptor

I boot to vista CD, it says "loading windows files" then goes through it's little green scrolly bar thing a few times, and boots me into this

img00050vr0.jpg

I'm not sure what to make of it. No keys work. The mouse can move around. I have left it there for 30 minutes and it does nothing different.

I don't even know how to begin googling for answers to this kind of problem...

Anyone come across this? I don't even get an error message.

That appears to be some kind of video problem, you have a different card you can try?

That appears to be some kind of video problem, you have a different card you can try?

after about 10 minutes, i ejected the CD then it went to a 'normal' setup screen, albiet in 16-color mode or whatever it is.

It tried to unsuccessfully read drivers from the CD and I eventually had to reboot.

An attempted install of XPSP2 errored out on installation saying that there were corrupted files.

So I'm thinking something is corrupting installation files.

Checking the memory (which tests should I run?), then trying a different CDRom drive.

Any other possible suggestions?

I'll try changing out the vid for a bfg 6800 if nothing else works.

Google for Memtest x86...you can make a bootable CD and test with it. If you have some other mem sticks then switch them out and see if you can install or if you have more than one stick, try and see which one could be bad.

Google for Memtest x86...you can make a bootable CD and test with it. If you have some other mem sticks then switch them out and see if you can install or if you have more than one stick, try and see which one could be bad.

should I just do a full pass though? or run specific tests several times?

So I tried a known good CDRom, tried a different video card, ran through 3 full passes on memtest 86, and even tried yanking the hdd and installing vista on it from my own working computer. When I plugged it into the new computer it rebooted every time it tried to load windows...

Bad motherboard, probably?

So after 10 days of waiting I finally installed the new replacement motherboard and still getting the same thing.

Here is what the system has. Any reason that all of these components shouldn't work together!!?

This is getting VERY VERY frustrating.

Microsoft Windows Vista 32-Bit Ultimate for System Builders Single Pack DVD
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 Conroe 2.4GHz LGA 775 Processor Model BX80557E6600 - Retail
ASUS P5W DH DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel 975X ATX Intel Motherboard
XFX PVT71JYHE9 GeForce 7950GT 512MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP ExTreme Edition Video Card
NERMAX Liberty ELT620AWT ATX12V 620W Power Supply
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model TWIN2X2048-6400C4
Western Digital Raptor WD1500ADFD 150GB 10,000 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
NEC 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE/ATAPI Model ND-3550A

I tried another copy of vista (a business upgrade) on the off chance the disc is damaged in some way (but got the same result).

I have tried a different video card (BFG 6800OC) with the same result.

I do not have any other memory or processor to try but I let memtext86 run through for 2 days without a single problem.

HELP ME!!! :confused: :confused: :confused:

Back