Vista install not liking 40 gig drive?

Bulldog311

Gawd
Whuddup, all... its been awhile.

Anyways, wanted to dink around with Vista but I'm getting this error when selecting my HDD for install (during a boot-to-cd install).

It said: "Windows is unable to find a system volume that meets its criteria for installation"
And then I said: "WTF!?"

Its a 40 gig seagate IDE drive hooked up to the VIA IDE controller on an aBit KG7-Raid. I know its not a beast of a machine, but it only requires a 20 gig drive from what I understand. Ive formatted it in Windows, during the Vista install window. No dice. It obviously sees the drive so it shouldnt be a driver issue. Its jumpered as a single master on its own IDE cable.

Someone help... I'll owe you a beer.

Odd, but it doesnt like the slave jumper settings. All is well, except I'm afraid that this puppy has a long way to go. If an AXP 1400 with 2 gigs of ram cant cut the mustard, Vista is gonna be tough to recommend for a LONG time.

thought i may have had that problem but, i have installed vista B2 on an old Seagate barracuda 30gig (for testing) - and works quite well so far, no problems ....well eccept for the many bugs that vista B2 has :D

I have a had a problem with installing Vista on 80 and 160 gb pata seagate drives. I wouldn't think its the drives but more of a problem within Vista (it is beta). System was an amd 3500 on an at8 board. Decided to go VMware route for now.

Back