Vista in the work enviroment

legendz411

2[H]4U
Director said:
"Scientists unveiled the world's fastest supercomputer on Monday, a $100 million machine that for the first time has performed 1,000 trillion calculations per second in a sustained exercise."

http://www.cnn.com/2008/TECH/06/09/fastest.computer.ap/index.html

I promise you that it was not running Vista.

-XXXXXXX

Guy emailed me at work about the article. That's all he said. I guess Vista is still getting hated on. Although he is almost undoubtly right, it's amusing that that is the first thing that would come to his mind.

Probably running some *Nix solution anyways.

Bit of a weird comment to come up with.. although it's most certainly not using Vista, I don't quite get the implication. Vista can't run well even on a supercomputer? That would be taking hyperbole too far. I guess the claim is that no Vista machine could possibly be that fast.

I kinda feel sorry for Microsoft's OS programmers that there's so much hate for Vista. Sure, it's a resistable upgrade for most and it unsurprisingly needs newer hardware to run well, but that's no reason to hate it.

I wonder how long it will take before we will have a home computer that is as fast as that.

That's fucking stupid because Vista can't run all those servers anyways. It's not even a Microsoft NOS on there anyways. Problem some in house apps.

Different OSes for different jobs, that's like pointing out a story about a house being moved by being towed by a vehicle and saying about the vehicle: "I promise you it wasn't a mercedez", I mean wtf does that prove, that mercedez doesn't have decent cars? No, it proves the commenter is a small brained fool with no perspective or understanding of the real world. Just as most people don't drive 18-wheelers to dairy queen, they don't use hard to use and incompatible with all high-demand games/apps unix systems. I should also point out that in the future when there are many systems like the one in the story, some will be running Windows 2008 Server, which is basically Vista with slightly different settings than the consumer version and a few added components and media apps removed.

Current Windows code will only support up to 128 cores.
So most likely it couldn't run on that machine anyway.

Windows couldn't and wouldn't be used on it, but that's not really the point here; said person was presumably mocking Vista as allegedly being slow and inefficient, and thus conceptually unsuited to running anything high-performance, rather than actually suggesting that they had the option of Windows and decided against it?

Back