vista i/o error on second internal hard drive

JindaZ

n00b
my first hard drive is set up to dual boot vista ultimate and xp pro. my second internal drive cannot be read while under vista, i tried to format the drive in vista but it wouldn't format (froze) and then i tried to format in xp which went fine, but i still cannot read/write to it in vista. i also tried reading from a friend's external hard drive under vista and i still get an i/o error. is there something obvious i am missing? why can't i read/write to other drives within vista?

so it shows up in vista, in my computer and in the logical disk manager, but you get read errors?

I'm having the exact same thing happen and it's really making me mad. I had xp home on my first hard drive, works fine, and then i installed vista on the 2nd drive a few weeks later. i'm now wating to move some files from the first drive over to my vista install and then format the old drive, they are both the exact same western digital 320gb sata2 drive. I can copy maybe 50 megs worth of files or something like that and then it will give me an error "the request could not be performed because of an I/O device error" If i restart the computer sometimes it will let me copy another small amount of files, but it seems to just be not working at all now.

bump, if anyone has any idea what might be causing this i'd love to know

so it shows up in vista, in my computer and in the logical disk manager, but you get read errors?

correct, both my internal and external drives that i have tried shows up... but i get i/o errors on both. this is extremely frustrating

errormo0.jpg

That's the error i'm getting, is it the same for you JindaZ?

I have exactly the same problem with a WD 250 SATA1 drive. I took it off line and replaced with a Maxtor I had and the problem has not recurred.
I think it might be that the WD drive is ok with XP but fails under the demands of Vista. This is with Vista 64.
If there is a better answer I would love to hear it. My boot drive is a Raptor.

So how would i go about updating drivers for my western digital drives, maybe they have released some kind of fix? I wasn't sure if a hard drive can have drivers like any normal hardware device or what they have.

I have four WD drives on my system. 2-74Gig Raptors, a 250 sata 1 and a 320 external usb. The problem only arises on the 250 which is my data drive. I have replaced it with a Maxtor SATA drive and it is fine. This seems to be a WD issue with large drives. I have Emailed WDC and am presently running DLGDIAG (it passed the quick test - I am running the extended test).
I will post further results as I get them.

Update - the drive passed the extended diag. The 200gb Maxtor is performing flawlessly.

Final update.
I RMAed the WD 250 and installed the replacement today. It is performing flawlessly so it is clearly a drive problem though the original performed without problem in XP.
Western Digital denied knowledge of such a problem but the proof is in the pudding.

Back