EVGA 122-CK-NF68-A1 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA 512-P3-N841-A3 GeForce 8800GTS (G92) 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz LGA 775 65W
CORSAIR XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM

Old parts kept:
Aerocool 640w PSU
Maxtor 250gb sata drive
Cheap IDE DVD/CD-RW

are the parts that I am upgrading. Everything is posting fine BIOS looks good. Vista installation however is giving me problems. I get past the format screen to the expanding files screen and at some random percentage the machine just locks. All crashes happen sub 30%. After the crash the keyboard is locked on even after the machine is hard shut down. I have checked everything multiple times...What do you think it could be?:confused:

When it crashes reboot to bios and quickly check the cpu temp. Also see if it is recognizing your CPU correctly. You may need a bios update for the 45nm.

Also try changing sata modes around from AHCI.

I'm at work right now but I think I did check it and it was at about 45*c. I thought it could have been the push pin fan but I triple checked that. I have been looking around and some people said the nvidia boards wont install vista with 4gb on the board. You have to install it afterwards...Wonder if there is any truth to that.

Truthfully I don't see what issues they would cause. Did you check your ram voltage to make sure it is running the correct voltage? Motherboards i have seen tend to not give the ram what it should take but it will boot and allow changing. Check the timings as well.

Thanks I will make sure the voltages/timings are right. Any other suggestions are welcome and appreciated.

I have been looking around and some people said the nvidia boards wont install vista with 4gb on the board. You have to install it afterwards...Wonder if there is any truth to that.
There's quite a bit of truth to that...enough so that it's actually a known issue with its own KB article. On Nvidia boards, you have to pull some of the memory, install Vista, and then you can get the hotfix through Windows Update, or install manually.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/930261/en-us

:) Thanks for the feedback will try these when I get home. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

:) Thanks for the feedback will try these when I get home. Any other thoughts are appreciated.

If that doesn't work (that seems to me the likeliest scenario) - check your media. One of the MS Vista DVDs I have doesn't work very well during installation - however, I was able to copy all of the files off of the DVD in Windows and make a copy, which works flawlessly. Using the purchased media - it had the same issues of hanging/stopping at some random point early in the installation.

A mix of memory timing and bios updates fixed it thanks for all the help!! Installed with all4 gb installed.

Back