Vista home premium: programs slowly dying

chameleoneel

Supreme [H]ardness
internet explorer

winamp

bitcomet

everytime I open internet explorer, and then close a window, it hangs, says internet explorer has stopped working, and then I have to manually close it again, which takes every open window with it.

winamp will randomnly say "stopped working". sometimes immediately after opening. sometimes in the middle of a song. sometimes when it changes to the next song.

Bitcomet will "stop working" after being open for a few hours.

I.E went first. then Bitcomet. now Winamp.

what is happening?

Assuming you have all the latest chipset, video, and audio drivers, you might want to back down on the overclocks to see if that helps.

Heh, 'things start corrupting on my overclocked box, gee I wonder why..' ;)

well, even though these overclocks are rock solid for 2 years, and the system runs cooler than it did at stock settings with stock cooling, I backed off the processor and the video card core and memory.

problem still exists.

I had this problem not so long ago, turned out to be dodgy memory. Have you tried running memtest?

well, even though these overclocks are rock solid for 2 years, and the system runs cooler than it did at stock settings with stock cooling, I backed off the processor and the video card core and memory.

problem still exists.

The problem with corruption is that once it happens there rarely is a way back. Your I/O might have been corrupted for some time which means itsy bitsy pieces of data on your hd might be forever corrupt. If the culprit was your ram or other hardware, it's most likely to fail again soon even with reduced settings since the damage is done.

If you ran it for 2 years overclocked, it's your cue for another shopping spree. What you gain by OC you lose in longevity.

no, but I will try it I guess.

(please don't go bad on me crucial ram)

At least with Crucial RAM you have a lifetime warranty.

Another thing to consider is a spyware/virus scan to see if there is something interfering.

I'm not 100% sure it's a hardware problem but it would not hurt to do a full suite of tests including memtest, Orthos and maybe a couple of others to rule out the possibility of hardware that went bad.

You may also want to check to see if there are any problems with the current drivers you are running and possibly update to new versions if there are any new versions out.

Another possibility could be a hard drive going bad or data corruption. You may want to find a drive utility which will do a thorough test on any drives you have in the system to see if any may be going bad. A chkdsk run may also find errors in some of your data which may have gotten messed up. A bad shutdown can cause data corruption even if this isn't as prevalent as it used to be.

I had this start happening, turned out the hard disk was about to die. Got everything off of it, and the 300GB drive died about 30 minutes later :eek:

Currently waiting for a 320GB drive to replace it (Seagate this time, not going with Maxtor again)

Back