Vista Home Premium problems...please check out.

arman01

Gawd
Hey guys, i got my OEM copy of Vista Home Premium today, and im having some problems with it.

When i start media center, the computer restarts. the same goes for some screensavers. The screen goes blank momentarily and my monitor (Samsung 205BW) looks for a signal and says "digital", "analog", "digital", "analog"..and so on as it looks for a source, then the computer restarts.

launching Doom 3 causes the display to become a bit corrupted and shortly after restarts the computer also. What can i do?

Im loving Vista, but these problems are pissing me off. I havent tried any other 3d games yet.

My Configuration:

Vista Home Premium 32-bit
Radeon X1950XT 256Mb (using catalyst 7.1 vista drivers)
Core 2 Duo e6300
4x512mb Corsair DDR2 667
Gigabyte DS3 F7 BIOS
Antec TrueBlue 2.0 480W PSU

I would start by forcing Vista to display the BSOD instead of restarting.

Rt-Click Computer>Properties>Advanced System Settings>Startup and Recovery settings>Uncheck "automatically restart" under System Failure

thanks for your reply.

unfortunately, it doesnt solve the problem.

launching media center causes the display to go black and restarts the computer.

launching doom 3 causes corruption on the windows desktop, which stays and now i have to manually restart the computer.

EDIT: Ive also noticed that launching a slideshow from the photo viewer causes the system to reboot

any help would be appreciated. thanks in advance.

i did a clean re-install of Vista....which was done in less than 15 mins

without installing any video drivers, everything works perfectly. Ofcourse, since i dont have them gaming is probably out of the question.

I am sure this is either a problem with the catalyst 7.1 drivers for Vista or an issue with the Radeon X1950XT series of video cards.

Im going to hold off installing video drivers till the next driver release from ATI, hopefully they can clean up this mess. Aero and all that works fine without video drivers, so i shud be able to survive.

Does anyone know of a fix to this problem or if this is a common problem?

Dunno man, i have a x1900xt and everything works just peachy, from viewing pictures to TV (ati 550 chipset card) to games.

I have the latest drivers from ati and have no such problems.

bad news...

even without ANYTHING installed apart from Vista itself, the system crashes and gives a blue screen when i try to watch a slideshow or launch media center..

this is really disappointing :(

can anybody shed any light on this??

What's the BSOD message? Does it point to a memory error, a driver conflict, anything?

Back