Vista Home Premium $99 Free Shipping

Yeah, it's been a while since I've seen BestBuy do mail in rebates. Of course, they like to confuse people by still using the term "rebate." For example, $30 after $20 instant rebate leads people to think mail in rebate despite the instant part of it.

Either way, not a bad price for the retail version.

Just an fyi about instant rebates versus a standard sale. if you see "after instant rebate", it mean the company (BestBuy for example) is getting a kick-back from the manufacturer for the difference. If it's just on sale or "after instant savings", it means that the company (bestbuy) is the one who is taking the hit on it.
They have to label them as such due to laws about disclosing the nature of a sale...

for the retail versions, such as this...will i have any problems transfering my windows license to a new pc? I know with the OEM ones you can call and such, is it easier with retail versions?

Thanks

supastar1568, you should have no problems with the retail version key on a new pc as long as you only have that key on one pc at a time. That is the nice thing about the retail version vs OEM.

That is one red hot deal! Thanks Major

More than likely this is 32bit. However with the retail version you can have MS ship you a 64bit version for around $10 to $16 depending on shipping method. This option is not available with OEM.

More than likely this is 32bit. However with the retail version you can have MS ship you a 64bit version for around $10 to $16 depending on shipping method. This option is not available with OEM.

All you're paying them for is the media, you already have the cd-key, and it works on both 32-bit and 64-bit btw, so if you have a 64-bit Vista DVD around from another purchase, you can use that to install this as 64-bit.

for the retail versions, such as this...will i have any problems transfering my windows license to a new pc? I know with the OEM ones you can call and such, is it easier with retail versions?

Thanks

This is an upgrade licence, so AFAIK you'd be constrained to the terms of the licence being upgraded. ie upgrade an OEM you're still bound to the oem constraint, upgrade retail and you have full retail freedom.

Doesn't matter which OS you are upgrading from, the retail key is what the license agreements are tied to. In other words, you can use the retail key when upgrade your motherboard or any other hardware, unlike the OEM disk

There is an excellent thread by Catweazle about a fresh upgrade install in the operating system sticky.

AFAIK the only version that ships with 32 and 64 bit versions is Ultimate. The 32 bit is upgradable to 64 bit by ordering the upgrade disk from MS directly. The key you bought will work on both.

If you want to turn this into a discussion, take it to the new sub-forum reserved for just that purpose. In this forum we will stick strictly to the posting of [H]ot Deals.

I see. Can we upgrade from XP with this disk, or just from lower version of Vista? I plan on getting the 64-bit version from MS after I get this disk.

So, will I be able to go from XP ---> Vista HP x64?

I see. Can we upgrade from XP with this disk, or just from lower version of Vista? I plan on getting the 64-bit version from MS after I get this disk.

So, will I be able to go from XP ---> Vista HP x64?

The search function is your friend.....

Forum OS Link

Not trying to T-crap.. just pointing to the appropriate response.

It's not hot MD, it's VISTA :p

OK, I'm just kidding, will play nice now.

Retail at about the OEM price.... nice deal. Still OEM is $10 cheaper at the Egg.

It's not hot MD, it's VISTA :p

OK, I'm just kidding, will play nice now.

Retail at about the OEM price.... nice deal. Still OEM is $10 cheaper at the Egg.

Yeah, but you can only "activate" OEM 1 time. At least with the retail/upgrade versions you have up to 10 times. If you don't make hardware changes very often (or ever), then OEM would be the way to go. If, however, you do periodically add/change major components (ie, vid card, hdd, mobo, etc) then retail is the better option.

Either way, back to the OP. Thanks! Adding the BB coupon makes it worth picking up, and switching my HTPC to Vista 32.

Hey, say one was to have a pirated version of windows XP professional.

Could I still use this upgrade?

Hey, say one was to have a pirated version of windows XP professional.

Could I still use this upgrade?

The licence requires that you be upgrading from a legal copy. It turns a legal copy of XP into a legal copy of vista. IF you start with warez you still have warez.

Back