• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Vista HD problem. Cant figure it out

Crippy144

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 10, 2008
Messages
104
Im running Vista 64bit SP1 and my hard drive usually will not stop loading. I get into windows and it constantly loads for no reason. I'm doing nothing and its loading full tilt. I thought it might be a program - antivirus, some exe, but that wasn't it. I also wondering if its superprefetch, but i'm not positive. I just wanna figure this out because its really annoying and I am losing performance in certain benchmarks and games.

btw I put my page file on my seperate HD (segate), and also made my page file double the amount of ram I have. I read about these tweaks in Maximum PC.

Anyone know this problem and a fix for it?? It would be greatly appreciated :)

My system spec
------------------------------------
Q9450 @ 3.5 (1750fsb)
4GB OCZ DDR3 1600@1750
EVGA 790i ultra
ATi 4870 x2 videocard
WD 150 Raptor SATA
Segate 500GB 7200.11 SATA
 
Check the Reliability and Performance Monitor, should tell you which process is reading from/writing to the HDD.
 
Its around 1-2% of the cpu being used. But it wont stop. I just got into windows now and as Im typing this my 150GB Raptor wont stop loading.
 
Uh, under the Reliability and Performance Monitor, click Disk then sort by either Read or Write. Should tell you which process is using the drive.
 
page file mainly. I have my page-file on separate drive. Since im SATA all around i put my page file on my other driver then windows. Vista is weird.
 
How old is this install?

It's most likely indexing and superfetch at work.

Although this should not be affecting any performance, because Vista uses low priority I/O for such tasks. . .

Give it a week or two to take care of itself.

On a side note. The "page file, double your RAM" is pretty much over with. Especially w/ having a machine with 4GB+ of memory. Let Vista be Vista. It "tweaks" itself.
 
btw I put my page file on my seperate HD (segate), and also made my page file double the amount of ram I have. I read about these tweaks in Maximum PC.
It sounds like you are experiencing the normal Vista indexing and superfetch processes with a relatively new install. It is normal and will subside. As for losing performance, what benchmakrs are telling you this? As for moving the pagefile, did you leave it on both drives, or just move it to a secondary drive? Moving it may be a possible enhancement, but as for the size, leave it alone, as suggested. Vista isn't XP and shouldn't be treated the same way.
 
Back
Top