Vista hardware upgrade question

dkev

Gawd
I am about to upgrade my mobo, cpu, and vid card. Am I going to have to reinstall Vista if I do this? I know on earlier OS's you have to. I just wasn't sure if that is still the case with Vista.

Sig says Windows 7?

If your aren't running Windows 7, you could use this as an opportunity to upgrade. ;)

As per your question, yes, it can be done, but you had better be up to the headache when/if something goes wrong.

I've seen people say you should uninstall your system (cpu/mobo) drivers then shut down and do the upgrade, and after you boot up with the new hardware windows will find all the system devices; there are guides around if you look. Not sure if it still applies to Vista. I've also seen people say it's just better to do a clean install, because of latent issues that may pop up, though I've never tried to do this so I don't know. On another note, Geez you're old! :)

[here's a link to doing a mobo upgrade from the FAQ: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=772307 - but it seems to be for XP, like I said dunno if Vista changed it.]

Last edited:
Sig says Windows 7?

If your aren't running Windows 7, you could use this as an opportunity to upgrade. ;)

As per your question, yes, it can be done, but you had better be up to the headache when/if something goes wrong.

I was on 7. But it crashed and burned. So I went back to Vista. Took me over 3 hours to get it intalled and fully updated. For some reason it just takes forever on my hardware config. I just didn't want to have to do it all over again in a few weeks. I normaly clean install on a heavy upgrade. I was just hoping to avoid it this time.

Back