Vista hangs after GTX 680 install

michael.pa2

2[H]4U
Just installed a GTX 680 in my system and I'm having problems with Windows hanging up on boot up. I'm using Vista Home Premium 64. It gets as far as the loading bar,then all I get is a blank screen with the mouse pointer. I can run Windows in Safe Mode,it detects the GTX 680,and I tried installing the latest drivers,but no change. I was upgrading from a GTX 285,so the power connections were the same,don't think it's a monitor problem. Any suggestions?

Upgrade to Windows 7

I'd have to agree. Windows Vista was a real POS when it came to operating systems. If you're going to be spending big money to buy top of the line hardware, I'd also invest in Windows 7.

Did you uninstall the GTX 285 before installing the 680?

Yes. I then uninstalled the drivers in safe mode with Driver Sweeper,then installed the latest Forceware drivers. No change.The fact that I can run in safe mode tells me the card is working to some extent,but I can't start up in normal mode at all.

Just installed a GTX 680 in my system and I'm having problems with Windows hanging up on boot up. I'm using Vista Home Premium 64. It gets as far as the loading bar,then all I get is a blank screen with the mouse pointer.

Let it sit for 10+ minutes, it will most likely come up. Honestly most of the time this happens to people, its just because they are impatient.

Success! Finally got it working after doing a system restore,uninstalling drivers in safe mode,and installing new drivers after Windows detected the card. I have to agree about Vista,really didn't have much problems with my original configuration,but installing new hardware is a crap shoot. Think upgrading to 7 will be my next project.

Back