Vista going nuts after "Remove Hardware Safely"

I got this problem with a fresh re-installation of Windows Vista. Everything is setup with the correct drivers and all the application that I use on a regular basis. Every time I try to "Remove Hardware Safely" from the sys tray my system goes on a seisure... the circle cursor is spinning. My monitor flashes.. i cannot get to task manager. My dual screen seems to swapped places. This continue until i do a hard reboot since I can't access anything else. I suspect it's ATI's radeon drivers. I'm using ver 8.11 and experience this problem. Prior, I was using 8.8 and 8.9 and did not experience this error. Has anyone else experience this perplexing problem? Let me know if you know what's going on. TIA!

uh... how about a little more info? WHAT exactly are you trying to remove?

If your Hard Drives are SATA, that's what's causing it to show up in the tray. You're trying to disconnect your OS drive probably... lol

I'm just trying to remove a SanDisk Cruiser 2GB thumb drive with data on it, no OS. If i just plug the thumb drive out of the USB port then everything is fine. However, if i try to remove it by going through the "Remove Hardware Safely" then my OS just have a seizure. The only remedy is to reboot. Any ideas?

With the drive plugged in go into device manager and find drive, under policies see if 'optimized for quick removal' is ticked. If not try that.

Honestly, 9/10 that Safely Remove Hardware for flash drives is a complete gimmick.
Unless you have something constantly accessing it in the background (ReadyBoost or something of the nature), as long as you closed out of the stuff that was accessing it, just yank it out.

Safely Remove Hardware is primarily designed for devices with memory as a buffer. Like Hard Drives. Being you've got that buffer there, you can actually cause data loss or corruption if you don't Safely Remove it.
Flash drives are ENTIRELY flash based and don't have any sort of a buffer to physical disks. I yank them out all the time and have never had data problems.
However, I could tell you probably 50% of the time if I were to right now go and yank out an external hard drive, it would cause at least data corruption.

You could also just right click on it in Computer and hit "Safely Remove."
That might work a little better for you than accessing it through the tray icon.

Honestly, 9/10 that Safely Remove Hardware for flash drives is a complete gimmick.
Unless you have something constantly accessing it in the background (ReadyBoost or something of the nature), as long as you closed out of the stuff that was accessing it, just yank it out.

Safely Remove Hardware is primarily designed for devices with memory as a buffer. Like Hard Drives. Being you've got that buffer there, you can actually cause data loss or corruption if you don't Safely Remove it.
Flash drives are ENTIRELY flash based and don't have any sort of a buffer to physical disks. I yank them out all the time and have never had data problems.
However, I could tell you probably 50% of the time if I were to right now go and yank out an external hard drive, it would cause at least data corruption.

I will make note of it and just yank it out if i'm not access the flash drive. Thanks for the advice :)

I love the Cruzer thumbdrive because of it's retractable USB plug, but damn if it constantly make Windows XP and Vista ask to chkdsk sometimes when I pull it out.

First thing I do when I get the Cruzer is to get rid of the U3 software. I prefer AutoPlay, thank you. But sometimes when I pull it out, and take it to another computer, the other computer will complain theres something wrongwith it. I can click "ignore" and it'll work fine, but it will always prompt that when plugging into any computer until I actually go through the chkdsk, then it'll leave me alone for awhile until I yank it out again at a bad time.. whenever that may be. I definitely don't use it when I pull it out. Ah well.

Back