Vista freezing while gaming.

tvdang7

Supreme [H]ardness
I just jump ship on XP and now using vista ultimate. Everything is great but i just noticed that when i game (so for DOTA and cod4) , i have a brief freeze in the game every x amount of minutes.

Rig in sig. not sure wtf is wrong. Dont really want to reformat again.

How recently did you install Vista? It's possible the stuttering is caused by HD access, which is normal for Vista during its first few weeks of running on a PC because it's optimizing Superfetch and indexing your files. If you're running a recent installation, it's possible that the problem will just go away after a while.

I had a problem like that. installing the new intel chipset drivers and the storagematrix drivers fixed it

Make sure SATA drivers are up to date (and graphics / sound / chipset / other) as well as Vista itself. Then buy the 4GB kit of DDR2-800 in the [H]otDeals forum ($55 shipped, $25 AR), cause 2GB isn't enough for a modern gaming machine.

this is why im so nervous about vista. I am upgrading soon to vista and I am really nervous

You playing those games online?
You playing online with a wireless internet connection?

If yes to both of those;
Windows Vista has a 60-120 second wireless internet account refresh, which causes almost all internet games to freeze for 1-4 seconds.

I am looking for the program right now that fixes the problem.

Yes its a new install of vista. SO im PRAYING!! its the superfetch thing.

I do have 4 gigs of ram.

Everything is updated to the max to my knowledge does the intel website have newer chipset drivers than gigabyte does?

i do play online and its not lag or others connections cuz i do also play lan with my roomates. Mostly playing DOTA wc3 mod right now.

I dont really see why it would be doing super fetching things while im gaming but what ever.

Today is day 2 so how long does this take to finish?

Everything is updated to the max to my knowledge does the intel website have newer chipset drivers than gigabyte does?

Today is day 2 so how long does this take to finish?

Usually about a week for it to quiet down completely, though I didn't notice any hitching, just a lot of HDD access when it should've been idle.

As for drivers being up to date through the manufacturer... you should know better. I'm certain that Gigabyte doesn't have the latest Intel chipset drivers, Realtek HD audio drivers, or... anything else, save BIOS, current.

also i just noticed something. ive been unoverclocked this whole time. No matter what i put into bios it says 2.4ghz even though when i go to bios is overclocked , Anyone experience that? i was 100% sure i was overclocked when i was using windows xp. Reason i noticed was because my vista score was rather low compared to others and i ran cpu-z to validate.

Some BIOSes will report the stock speed of a chip, then the speed it's running at. Also, unless you disable SpeedStep and C1E, etc, the chip will downclock (drop multiplier and voltage) when not loaded. Are you certain the OC is not sticking? If so, reset speed to stock (/important/) and update your BIOS.

yea im certain. cpu-z is telling me its stock unless its wrong. ill update the bios soon.

ok i updated the bios and everything is still stock even though the bios stays the same. This sucks.

Back