vista freezes on my quad 6600

naminem

Weaksauce
vista keeps on freezing on my quad 6600. i also have 8gbs of ram.

wtf is wrong with it? it doens't even use more than 5% of the CPU, but things keep freezing

EDIT: what do you mean exactly by freezing -- like, hitching? Or blue screens? Reboots? What?

Get all the updates before you blame anything else. Vista is really unstable on my machine until it's current or near to current -- I didn't remember this from my initial install, but my more recent reinstall made it very clear. I had to get them 3 and 4 at a time, at one point, as it wouldn't make it through downloading and installing all 40+ in one go. Then it behaved.

Make sure your RAM is running at its rated speed, timings, and voltage (or 0.1 volts above, even, but no higher) in BIOS. This is a common problem after a BIOS reset and can cause instability.

Make sure your heatsink on the processor is properly seated and the fan is working. Check temperatures with the utility in the BIOS and make sure they aren't crazy. (60C idle would be a dead giveaway that you have a heat problem). Leave the side off the case and point a house fan at it if possible, see if that helps. If so you have airflow/cooling issues, but I doubt that's what's going on here.

Clear the CMOS (reset the BIOS) and go through and check all your settings (including the RAM stuff again) if the above fails.

If all the above fails, download a copy of Memtest86 or Memtest86+ and burn it to a CD, boot from that and let it run overnight on your RAM to see if it is giving errors and needs to be RMAed for defects.

hmmmmm nvm, i think it happened because of a slow HD. i was doing a lot of reading/writing on the HD when it kep0t freezing

its amusing that you think it was vista causing it to lockup your system, it could be an improper load, driver problem, heat issue, countless other things.

Now you think its because of a slow hard drive? What do you mean by slow? did you swap it out?

hmmmmm nvm, i think it happened because of a slow HD. i was doing a lot of reading/writing on the HD when it kep0t freezing

check your cables, make sure they are tight and in good condition.
if its doubtful, try another one

it would take a lot of reading/writing to slow down a modern HD

Back