Vista - Force Low Power 3D for Aero?

Mr. K6

Supreme [H]ardness
Title pretty much says it all. Is there anyway I can force Vista to use low power 3D on the desktop in order to save some energy and cool down my 8800GTS? Running my gaming clocks and voltage on the desktop is unecessary. I imagine I could set up a laucher in Rivatuner or something but it would be much easier to have it done automatically. Oh, and I've already flashed my card to 3 performance settings (from one), currently at 297/702/500 for 2D and low power 3D and 621/1674/1026 for 3D.

Do you mean turn Aero off? I've never heard of a low-power option.

-bZj

Last time I looked, the amount of power Aero actually used was pretty insignificant. Do you have a site that shows otherwise?

It's not so much the power as it is the heat (8800s run HOT). Basically, I like Aero and it's a nice interface, it's just that because it's 3D, it forces these insane clocks on my 8800GTS. However, these are unneeded as it doesn't require that kind of graphical horsepower that the 8800GTS can produce at those clocks. Hence, I was looking for a way to turn down the voltage and clocks of my card while running aero. The catch is the card always remains in 3D.

The 8800 cards run hot regardless of Aero. How are the clocks being affected? Mine runs at stock with or without Aero.

Aero does not switch your card into 3D mode. Every card I've worked with stays in 2D mode with Aero enabled.

And your 8800 is going to run hot regardless.

I'd beg to differ, the gamerz. My bios for my 7900gs has 2d set to 450/660 and 3d set to 700/800. I notice in vista it's always at 700/800.

To OP, a workaround I can think of is using atitool's 3d detection, and set an exception for whatever aero uses. Of course, you'd have to set profiles where you set 3d mode frequencies down to lower ones for "non3d mode" profile to use when only aero is running

I'd beg to differ, the gamerz. My bios for my 7900gs has 2d set to 450/660 and 3d set to 700/800. I notice in vista it's always at 700/800.

To OP, a workaround I can think of is using atitool's 3d detection, and set an exception for whatever aero uses. Of course, you'd have to set profiles where you set 3d mode frequencies down to lower ones for "non3d mode" profile to use when only aero is running
Thanks for the info. I checked out several atitool versions, none seem to work properly with Vista (maybe sometime soon though). Too bad too, because that sounds like what I need. I forgot to mention that the performance modes I put into the BIOS when I flashed work well in XP, the 2D switch of clocks and voltage (although I'm not sure how well the voltage works, VID 00 I suspect is lower than VID 02, but who knows) take a good 10C off my card's desktop temps. For now, I've been using Rivatuner to downclock the card on the desktop and when I load a demanding 3D app I punch up the clocks via a hotkey. It's not as complete as I'd like but it's a start. I'll keep looking, thanks for the replies so far :cool:.

I'm not sure if it's any different for the 8800's, but atitool 0.27 beta is the only one that works under vista. coincidentally, I can't get it to work right at all under win2k3.

Yeah, when I first checked to see if it stayed in 3Dmode about 4 months ago I noticed that it did do so. But I checked the other day after installing the newest drivers and Ntune and it was going into 2d mode. So maybe try installing the new Ntune?

Yeah, when I first checked to see if it stayed in 3Dmode about 4 months ago I noticed that it did do so. But I checked the other day after installing the newest drivers and Ntune and it was going into 2d mode. So maybe try installing the new Ntune?

whoa. installed the newest beta and sure enough it's in 2d mode now. thanks

!!!!!!!!!
Very nice man, I'll have to check that out right now :D

EDIT: It's not having it. Is there a specific setting I'm missing? Also, it could be because I programed in the new performance modes, 8800 series doesn't downclock by default.

That's too bad. I don't think I had to set anything. I guess it could be your 8800 (I'm rocking a 7900). I'm running 162.22 and the new ntune.

edit: looks like it's rarely in low power mode for me. but now it's stuck on high power again. not sure why.

Back