Vista (for students/teachers)

lol unless it can do my homework vista's got nothing over xp (cept dx10 which isn't meh)

ummm? Vista Home Premium OEM for $129?

uhhh.... that's more than Newegg's price which doesn't require that academic verification thing.

I think he was referring to the Vista Home Premium Full Version Upgrade for $69

Does "Upgrade" mean that it isn't a full installation disc? To reinstall it do you need to install XP first then this "Upgrade" ?

Does "Upgrade" mean that it isn't a full installation disc? To reinstall it do you need to install XP first then this "Upgrade" ?

I believe it asks you to insert a cd from a previous OS in the drive while you are installing it.

gT does provide vista business for students.. but only cs majors... not EEs like us -_-'

Yes I have spoken to the people that have control over the msdnaa site for gatech ECE and they said that they will update the server once there are given the update from MS. It sucks

oh.. so we EEs get vista business too? that's nice :D i'll steal one for my laptop.. but i'm still buyin home premium for my comp since it wants media center :D If only u could combine business and premium together on the same installation :D

i didn't want to make a new thread.. so .. for those of you guys that are EEs at gatech... msdnaa has put up vista business for us to dl ;)

This is a decent deal if your school isn't nice enough to give you a free/cheap distro of Vista, like mine (damn you Georgia Tech). Vista for cheap, but you'll need to verify you are currently a student/teacher/etc. For grown ups, get your kids to do it for you.

http://www.campustech.com/c/campust/title.html?mv_arg=MSN155

Heh, I just graduated from there (CS). Still had access to MSDNAA and they gave me 2 free Vista Business Keys.....so yea, maybe you're CmpE or something (friend is and no vista yet). :p

My school luckily has business and ultimate keys. You *rent* the DVD and install it, then return the DVD. We are allowed 50 keys per student. Only applies to CSCI students though.

And before you ask, I can't tell you why we are allowed 50; It should either be 2 or infinitely many. 50 is basically infinite anyways.

I'm going to wait to be able to purchase it through my school in April. At least it's only gonna be $45 for Ultimate.

The current rumour is that by upgrading to Vista from Windows XP it invalidates your windows xp. So that even if you remove Windows Vista and reinstall Windows XP, Windows XP will not activate( cannot be used anymore).

I need to stop by ITS and see what kind of deal I can get on Vista though I don't want business. Ultimate or nothing.

since the upgrade version from winxp -> vista is teh gay think i'm just gonna buy vista ultimate @ student price... 0o

since the upgrade version from winxp -> vista is teh gay think i'm just gonna buy vista ultimate @ student price... 0o

Which would be great if there were a student price on anything outside of Home Premium...

Ummm...and? Upgrades have never been a new license with MS in addition to your previous license.

Someone in the comments on the neowin brought up a very good point: in order to install Vista, you must install and activate XP (or presumably just install 2000). If they make your 2000 key invalid, you'll never be able to reinstall Vista.

Frankly, I'm not sure what the point is, since anyone that wants to use both (assuming they really invalidate your key) will simply use 2000, which has no online activation, instead.

My school luckily has business and ultimate keys. You *rent* the DVD and install it, then return the DVD. We are allowed 50 keys per student. Only applies to CSCI students though.

And before you ask, I can't tell you why we are allowed 50; It should either be 2 or infinitely many. 50 is basically infinite anyways.
My school had a similar deal (CSUStan) - rent the media, get a key for like $15.

-bZj

If they make your 2000 key invalid, you'll never be able to reinstall Vista.

... will simply use 2000, which has no online activation, instead.
Contradicted yourself. If it doesn't talk to MS servers, it wouldn't keep you from installing Vista.

For what it's worth, if I end up with an upgrades, I'll be using my 2K to install them. ;)

But, I believe this little bit of propaganda will be cleared up soon. and it won't be as rough as it seems.

-bZj

Anyone know if it's possible to upgrade from xp64 to vista 32 upgrade?

As for the upgrades, there is a work around. When installing dont enter your key it will install as trial, once done upgrade the trial. (Yes that means you have to install twice)

oh.. so we EEs get vista business too? that's nice :D i'll steal one for my laptop.. but i'm still buyin home premium for my comp since it wants media center :D If only u could combine business and premium together on the same installation :D

you can its called Vista Ultimate

Wow I never thought about this to see if I can get software from school!

I just checked our website and the only thing they had listed was office 2003 for $8.15 But they also said there is other software I can buy.

I'm an employee for a school and we can get vista enterprise for 49.99 from shoptrc.com (CDW-G) , o same prices goes for office 2007 too

Back