Vista file permissions

Monkey God

Mangina Full of Sand
So ive been using Vista Ultimate 64 for a month or so now, overall I like it.
One of the things I find *hugely* annoying is the way UAC works, the annoyance factor is huge. But I digress.

Anyways, the thing I want to ask about is File Permissions...every time I try to rename or move a folder (no matter where it is!) im almost always being denied. It never gives me a specific error, just something like not authorized. Sometimes, files seem to be magically read-only for no reason, and when I de-click read only, it *takes it* like its going to work, but then resets back to read only. These are not system files, just stuff in my documents folder. WTF?

My user account is an Administrator account, and my name shows up as a owner on the files/folders in question. Changing ownership does nothing. The only thing that seems to help is give "everyone" full permissions, which I know is not very secure. Whats the problem here, am I doing something wrong? Its highly annoying because everytime I try to change permissions or do something, I get stupid UAC popups asking for permission, but it never actually does anything.

Also, one thing about UAC, if you are an Administrator, why does it always ask for Administrator approval to do anything? I thought the point of that was if you were a user. If your login is setup as an administrator, why do I need to approve manually every damn thing? Is that the point of UAC? Annoy the shit out of you so you don't make any changes?

I applaud Microsofts desire to improve security, but they need to be careful of making it so annoying people want to pull their hair out. Last night all I was trying to do was move some folders and rename some files (in my documents folder!!!) and I was ready to format the damn thing back to XP 32. I still may do that. There's only a few real things in Vista I like that XP doesn't provide.

Am I missing something obvious? To whom should file ownership reside, the System? My account? Whats the least hair pulling way to manage all this?

You can disable UAC account, by doing this.

Click Start-> in run type MSCONFIG -> Enter -> go to the startup tools -> scroll down to the bottom where you see UAC disable -> highlight is and press Lauch button in the bottom right corner.

you will see DOS screen and it should say finished. Restart your computer and you will never see that popup screen again.

Enjoy.

You need to take ownership of the object if it was created by another instance of Windows.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLgvpJ20_h8 (sorry it's blurry lol)

Maybe thats what it is. I made copies of my old My Documents folder, before I installed Vista. Put them on a network share and moved them back.

When you say take ownership, do I need to make the system the owner, or make me account the owner?

Click Start-> in run type MSCONFIG -> Enter -> go to the startup tools -> scroll down to the bottom where you see UAC disable -> highlight is and press Lauch button in the bottom right corner.

you will see DOS screen and it should say finished. Restart your computer and you will never see that popup screen again.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip. Id rather not disable UAC altogether, for security reasons, but it so damn annoying...heh

Maybe thats what it is. I made copies of my old My Documents folder, before I installed Vista. Put them on a network share and moved them back.

When you say take ownership, do I need to make the system the owner, or make me account the owner?

Either one - the owner is currently a GUID that does not exist on your system...

Just take ownership and then add yourself and system with full access and replace permissions on all child objects.

Either one - the owner is currently a GUID that does not exist on your system...

Just take ownership and then add yourself and system with full access and replace permissions on all child objects.

Thanks!

Enjoy.

Don't ever disable UAC, if you have to get rid of the pop ups change the security setting to "Elevate without prompting" for user administrator accounts.

Control Panel -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options
User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode

This security setting determines the behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators

The options are:

• Prompt for consent: An operation that requires elevation of privilege will prompt the Consent Admin to select either Permit or Deny. If the Consent Admin selects Permit the operation will continue with their highest available privilege. This option allows users to enter their name and password to perform a privileged task.

• Prompt for credentials: An operation that requires elevation of privilege will prompt the Consent Admin to enter their user name and password. If the user enters valid credentials the operation will continue with the applicable privilege.

• Elevate without prompting: This option allows the Consent Admin to perform an operation that requires elevation without consent or credentials. Note: this scenario should only be used in the most constrained environments.

Default: Prompt for consent

btw I still don't recommend this as it still lowers the primary protection of UAC, but at least it doesn't turn it completely off.

Don't ever disable UAC, if you have to get rid of the pop ups change the security setting to "Elevate without prompting" for user administrator accounts.

Control Panel -> Local Security Policy -> Local Policies -> Security Options

btw I still don't recommend this as it still lowers the primary protection of UAC, but at least it doesn't turn it completely off.

this sounds like what i want, however i had a large problem finding the local security policy controls, i had to run secpol.msc in the command prompt then follow what you had listed, once that was sone, everthing runs smoother now, i do not get a prompt whenever i copy or move a file or delete one.

i am a happy camper now;)

Back