Vista Feature Focus: 64-Bit Support

HardOCP News

[H] News
SuperSite for Windows has an article posted today that is a Windows Vista feature focus on 64-Bit (x64) support. Good reading for all of you planning on taking the Vista plunge.

One of the primary benefits of using an x64-based version of Windows Vista is that these versions provide dramatically improved security features when compared to their 32-bit counterparts. Most dramatically, the Windows Vista x64 versions include a new secret security feature that will virtually eliminate remote system attacks for the first time on the Windows platform.

Been running Vista x64 for months now. There are 2 things that really annoy me.

1) HP still way behind in providing x64 drivers for their printer.

2) Adobe is pathetic, simply ignoring x64. They look like amateurs. I want my browser running in x64 and Flash to go with it. At least Linux users have a couple of Open Source projects going on.

I saw 1 inaccuracy, and one other questionable statement.

Not all the versions will have the x64 bit copy in the box. That only happens with Ultimate. The others you gotta call MS for.

I'm also curious about the registry / program files (x86) redirection (there's more to it than that, but that is the most obvious). I noticed it wasn't working 100% prior to RC1, but RC1 and RC2 seemed to work fine. Most installers for 32bit applications do not try to detect they are installing on a 64 bit system, and the operating system redirects the files into the correct places. Same goes for the registry etc etc.

Because you know they just toss out the prerelease operating systems and create a new one from scratch that they offer as the RTM :rolleyes:

No. But I bet a lot changed in those seven months, and as soon as you install Vista, you're gonna get a bunch of updates anyway. I cannot imagine that the pre-released versions and the those released today are significantly similar, or enough to heed this article's information as if it were written today.

Back