Vista "Favorite Links" in Explorer

tgrimley

Limp Gawd
I do WIN+E to start explorer (if it matters) and I want the Favorites Link on the left (navigation) pane to start "maximized" so that it looks like it does when you click on the "folders" title and it "minimizes" the pane. Even better if it's possible to make the button switch between favorite links and folders view.

Anyone know how to do this? Picture of what I want it to look like on startup below:

*bump*.. is this a stupid question or no one has any idea how to do it or what?

huh that's an oddity. Mine appears exactly as I last adjusted it priors to closing it.

If I resized the pane and close it, next time I open explorer it will appear as I've changed it.

Sounds like your setting isn't sticking for some reason.

If you'll notice, the same thing happens when you right click on a folder then choose explore, but doesn't happen when you hit open. Therefore, Windows Key+E acts as if you hit explore. From there, its simply a matter of changing the appropriate flags for the right click contextmenu to not show the expanded Folders.

By changing the value of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore's BrowserFlags dword to that of HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\open's, it will work like you expected.

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore
Change BrowserFlags to 10h.

Or, copy/paste this into a reg file and save:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Folder\shell\explore]
"BrowserFlags"=dword:00000010

Thanks Snowknight26, that worked perfectly. I thought Windows would be smart enough to make it the same when re-opening.

no, opening and exploring give different views. Explore shows the folder tree, open does not. Win+E = explore, as previously stated.

Back