Vista explorer.exe is retaining lock handles on files when making thumbnails?!

Rurik

Supreme [H]ardness
This was a probably I noticed out of the box as soon as I installed Vista Business on my new work machine. I have a hard drive from my DVR with media files that I watch with Media Player Classic or VLC. I've found that when I delete a file from the drive and refresh the directory listing, it will immediately return. But, the file is actually gone, as it cannot be opened.

When checking through Process Explorer, I found that explorer.exe has hundreds of my media files open, even ones that I've never opened. It seems that when Vista performs thumbnail creations on video files, it is locking the file and not releasing the handle. Screenshot of procexp below:

Vista_Lock_Handles.jpg

The problem now is that to really delete a file, I have to delete it from the directory and then use Process Explorer to close the handle that explorer.exe has on the file. As soon as I do that, the file disappears from the directory listing like it should.

I thought this was just a problem on one drive, but now it's occurring across all of my hard drives.

FYI, videos are recorded through SageTV as:
Audio: MPEG Audio 48000Hz stereo 384Kbps [Mpeg-1]
Video: MPEG2 Video 720x480 (4:3) 29.97fps 4000Kbps [Video]

I've tried searching, but I haven't found any other instances of this. Has anyone seen similar occurrences? The only way to fix it is to either close the handles (which is in the thousands, and they have to be done one at a time), reboot, or kill and restart explorer.exe.

Back